Ideal Growing Conditions for Pseudolithos

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Euphorbus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Ideal Growing Conditions for Pseudolithos

Post by Euphorbus »

Hello,

I hope everyone's doing well.

I'm a new poster on this forum, although I have read through quite a few topics in the past before I was registered. I've searched for topics akin to this one, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Apologies if any of this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm a collector of euphorbia living in southern England. My particular passion is polygona snowflakes and wundulates, but I have quite a few different varieties, including a couple of abdelkuri.

However, I've recently become infatuated by another type of plant altogether: pseudolithos. I think their almost alien appearance is captivating, and their reputation for being difficult to grow makes me even more keen to 'master' them.

I've not yet tried my hand at growing any (despite finding a few different reputable sources on eBay), because I wanted to be as sure as I could be that I wouldn't kill them before I handed over my money.

I've been researching their habitat for clues about what they need to thrive, as I did many moons ago for my euphorbia, but this new sleuthing game is a little more tricky - it's very difficult to pin down exactly where they grow. The name 'migiurtinus' provides a clue, as this relates to the Migiurtinia region of NE Somalia, in modern Puntland. However even this is quite a large area, with parts of it close to the coast and others more inland.

I have the capability to provide them with their own microclimate via containers and heat mats, plus supplementary lighting via LEDs if required, but without knowing if they grow close to the coast or not I don't know how much humidity they like.

This is what I've gathered so far:

- A potting mix of 75% pumice, 25% sandy cactus soil
- Terracotta pot of very modest size, possibly slightly underpotted
- Summer temps of 30 - 35C, winter temps slightly lower but not dropping below 15C
- Very bright light, though not full sun, all year round
- Frequent watering in the summer, particularly April - June, to coincide with Somalia's more reliable rainy season. Infrequent, smaller waterings in winter

If anyone has experience of growing these plants successfully, and/or knows exactly where their natural habitat lies (i.e. coastal or not), your comments would be much appreciated. If any of what I've already surmised is incorrect, I'm not at all proud about being corrected :)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Ideal Growing Conditions for Pseudolithos

Post by Aiko »

They are not that hard or demanding regarding soil and such. From my experience the main key issues are temperature and sun intensity. The sun intensity is quite important for seedlings only. They burn easily when the sun is too bright. Way faster than any other succulent species. So keep seedlings under some shading cloth at all times.

Regarding temperature, I would advice to keep it at 10C at least. And also avoid draft. I think draft was for me the main reason for me losing full grown flowering plants.

Luckily I still have my seedlings. After losing many already due to sun burning my seedlings away...
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I have mine in a soil mix and summer and winter temperatures similar to what you describe. I don't use terracotta though, since (a) I don't like it and (b) it tends to attract the roots and damage when when repotting (unless glazed, but then what's the point of terracotta other than cosmetic). They're all underpotted, or close to it and live in a light box year round (really the only plants that actually like it during the summer here). At the quoted temperatures and soil mix, they should dry out fast enough anyway. I water them lightly once or twice a week.

In my experience, they do well in a relatively low air humidity environment (RH<80%, mostly between 30-70). I can't say they won't tolerate or even thrive in higher humidity, but I can confirm they will grow fine in low humidity conditions. Note that due to our local climate here, it is far easier for me to keep the humidity low than it is for you in England.
Euphorbus
Registered Guest

Post by Euphorbus »

Thank you very much Aiko and Astro for your replies.

Further digging has revealed that their natural habitat is inland, and therefore their preference is indeed probably for lower humidity.

I came across this interesting article during my searches: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DVudW9 ... 6nUHY/view

Sadly it's in Italian, but a quick bit of translating reveals the following cultivation tips:

1. These plants love a very draining substratum. I use a compost made from 90% pumice 4 / 5mm max and 10% field ground limestone

2. As for watering, I give water every 30 days alone in the warmer months every 20.

3. These plants swell with an impressive speed. Giving water the afternoon, already in the evening the plants are quite swollen!

4. If small plants deflate a lot, you will hardly be able to make them swell, the same will be destined to die.

5. Avoid the sun's body to wet the body of the plant, could trigger rot.

6. Avoid spraying, they are useless and harmful.

7. Plants are self-sterile so for seeds it is necessary to pollinate two plants. The insect that manages to pollinate is the fly. (If there are no flies around, try to lure them with sardines).

Interesting to see someone only giving water once every 20 days in Sicily, though I'd assume he means in addition to any natural rainfall.

Astro, I'd be interested to hear what strength of lighting you use, and how close you keep it to the plants. I've also been wondering how best to administer water, given how fussy these plants seem about having water on their bodies. I usually water from the bottom, but perhaps a largely pumice mix wouldn't soak up water adequately for any to reach the roots using this method?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Interests: Too many
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

One trick to get them to set seed is to place the flowering plant near a compost heap, as you get a large choice of flies n bugs
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Tina wrote:One trick to get them to set seed is to place the flowering plant near a compost heap, as you get a large choice of flies n bugs
Or better, put some decaying meat next to it. Or a flowering Amorphophallus or Arum. Even a carnivorous Sarracenia will attract flies.
Euphorbus
Registered Guest

Post by Euphorbus »

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.

I'm thinking of standing the pseudolithos pots inside a heated propagator, and I'm wondering what the best medium is to stand the pots in to hold the pots steady/transfer the heat. I've used a sand base in the past with some success, but I'm thinking that it might be too water retentive for plants so picky about moisture. The other options, I suppose, are gravel, pumice, or just standing the pots on top of the naked plastic.

Also still interested to hear people's thoughts on whether a 75% pumice mix would convey enough water upwards to the roots if watering the plants from the bottom.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Interests: Too many
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I have learnt my lesson about standing pots on sand! The plant roots run into it and you cause all sorts of damage when you try to extract them. No real problem with easy plants but I suspect your Pseudolithos would react unfavourably.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I was given a couple of Pseudolithos Cubiformis grafted on Hoodias a couple of years ago after initially refusing them because I don't grow many Stapeliads and they have a difficult reputation. I only keep the greenhouses just above freezing in the winter but it was suggested that if I could grow Hoodias then the grafted Pseudolithos would be OK. I don't have a problem growing Hoodias but both Pseudolithos died the first winter!
Stuart
kohinoor
Registered Guest

Post by kohinoor »

they grow fairly quick and bug-free in Ideal Conditions.takes about 1~2 year to flower, fairly quick for a rare plant.

But the cost of mistake is huge. it only take one night of over humidity to turn it into mush of goo.
NO WARNING NO SALVAGING ONLY REGRET

For the graft i suggest caralluma speciosa their root are more resistant to over water.
Hoodia is also sensitive to over water,i can;t see the point using a equally sensitive species to graft.
other species like Orbea Stapelia are not durable.

i believe they are self fertile.I see a lot of my friend set seed even when they only have 1 plant.i think this mean they are self fertile.

And a interesting fact:
their fruit development and pollination are not happens at same time.
a pollinated ovary may stays small and undevelopment for several month.
and suddenly grow large into fruit.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)