Dioscorea elephantipes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes

Post by Cactusgirl »

One of mine is now sending out green leaves on its vine. Clearly asking for a drink!
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes

Post by Keith H »

Ospreywatcher wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:34 pm Further to my original post I am very happy to report that my D.elephantipes has started to send out a new vine despite my efforts to kill it off during the summer by giving it a tad more water than it desired. After cutting of the dead roots I replanted the rootless caudex in new compost and positioned it in a shaded corner in the house. Early days yet but this is around the time of year it always comes back to life and hopefully there will be fresh roots growing too.
Nice one. They are tough old plants.
Having said that mine woke up right in the middle of the recent heat wave and promptly scorched half of the new leaves, there is another new vine appearing now it is getting colder so looks like this will be a two vine year
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554