A konjack

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

A konjack

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, expected a flower this year but all I got was extra growing points. Next year should I remove all but one shoot to promote flowering, or leave well alone as the plant knows best lol. Please click for correct orientation. This is due to using an iPad. Cheers
image.jpeg
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A konjack

Post by purzo »

Unfortunately mine is the same this year Eric although I was quite optimistic of a (first ever) flower. Just wondering do you fertilise at all, if so what are you using? I haven't this year so far but probably will from now on.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

The side shoots are coming from offset bulbs the original plant has made and are by now not reliant on the mother plant for nutrition, so taking them off will have no effect other than weaken the offsets. If you wanted more plants you could separate them, of course - that would probably be better carried out when the plant is dormant. The main mother bulb will flower when it is good and ready.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Paul, would this mean they will have to be cut off when ready ? Cheers. For Purzo, no I only water this plant, but it is re potted in new soil annually. Thanks
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Eric - when it is dormant, knock the pot out and the offset bulbs should just fall away.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.