Should I water my conos?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Should I water my conos?

Post by Terry S. »

I usually start to water my cono collection sometime during July and wait for a cool spell before I do it. But this year cool spells do not exist in the south-east, so should I water or shouldn't I? I consulted my guru in southern California where one normally expects heat and he said water, so I did about a week ago. Many of the larger-headed species have broken through their old skins already so I am happy that I did the right thing and will now continue to water weekly.

There is no way a CAM plant is going to be able to photosynthesise under the present warm-night conditions but in the case of conos, I don't think that they really have to. The cells for the new heads and flowers were formed back in the winter and spring and all that is happening now is that the plants are imbibing water and inflating their cells.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Should I water my conos?  Solved

Post by Aiko »

Only the Conophytums, not the other winter active succulents got water?
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Should I water my conos?

Post by topsy »

I will add a little to Terry's post and say that I have been watering my conos and all my mesembs during most of this extreme heat and the conos are really breaking through with frutescens and a yellow-flowered bilobe now in bloom in addition to the usual early flowerers. I will add that the area where the conos are housed is perhaps the coolest part of our collection with many trees on the western side of the garden. As has been said before - plenty of air movement is a great help to all our succulent plants and we keep the doors and windows open 24/7 with the fans also on 24/7. Yes, Aiko, my winter growing mesembs have also been receiving water and are showing signs of coming into life.

My thoughts about watering when perhaps we wouldn't normally is that when it is time for our plants to start growing there is every chance that the feeder roots will have dried too much and will have to regrow before the plants can start absorbing moisture and growing.

I also firmly believe that if a plant is in bud or flowering it needs water as it is putting a lot into its blooms.

Suzanne.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

I watered all my Conos on Sunday. Quite a few Bilobes are starting to flower and I was concerned that if I didn't start watering the smaller bodied species might be under threat, particularly with the weather continuing to be around 30°C+ for the rest of this week. The lack of any rain in the forecast also prompted me in making my decision.

Just to add to it I'm due to be giving a talk, with plants, in September, so I want them growing well by the end of August.

Reading the other posts in this thread has set my mind at rest over my decision to water.

The next question will be when to take down the shading? Any thoughts?
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Thanks, Terry, I've been wondering whether to water my Conos, so will be doing so shortly.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Aiko: I find that watering tylecodons, othonnas, pelargoniums, etc at this time of year has very little effect. These all need to be able to photosynthesise to grow new leaves and I will not see any new growth before September. Amongst the mesembs, I find that there is little reaction to watering from the Mitrophyllum group before September. Genera such as Cheiridopsis, which do not have complete sheathing in many species, get enough water through summer to stop leaves from shrivelling.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I'll follow the experts advice and water my conos tomorrow. They are mostly looking very dry and unloved.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

Don't worry Rod!

I find it fascinating to see them perk up and start bursting through last year's skins. I watered on Sunday and you can already see the effects.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

With such sage advice what else could I do but go and water mine. And put the fleece sun shading back afterwards.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Not watered mine yet. Except Ophthalmophyllums, when I thought the heatwave was over last week. My smaller ones have some shade, the larger ones are sheathed better than they usually manage. Some of the bigger ones got a bit of unexpected rain today, so maybe I will be forced to deal with them awake now.

Flowers on several species, spring and summer-flowering. They don't seem to need water to do that. I'd usually be ready to water many of them by now, although some really don't want water until it cools down. I'm holding off until nights are cooler, maybe even days too, something more like a normal summer.
Cheshire, UK