Your ideal pot / container?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Your ideal pot / container?

Post by Cactus Kid »

What would your ideal cactus / succulent pot look like and what properties are important to you?
I may have an opportunity to get a mould made and am interested in ideas.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Your ideal pot / container?

Post by Tina »

Nice hexagonal bowl, 4.5 cm.
I also like half cascade pots for weeping succulents or ones with turnip roots that need extra leg room :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Did you really mean 4.5 cm, Tina? That's rather small, only 2 inches.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

Cactus Kid wrote:what properties are important to you?
Drainage holes. Plenty of them. And large enough.
All things small and not (too) spiny.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

I'm more interested in the properties of the pot than the size at the moment.

Drainage holes, amounts and size. Shape. Material. Design i.e. plain or decorative. Maximum depth, color etc. Plus any other features you would like. (tu)
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Oops, yes I meant 4.5 inches.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

I prefer round plastic pots or hexagonal over square ones, good solid quality like the BEF ones (the round versions). Plain, terracotta colour, good drainage with multiple holes which aren't huge. Some short and some extra long for tap rooted plants. With a rim.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
agavedave
Registered Guest

Post by agavedave »

Pots that are

- close to a square height to diameter profile
- reasonably rigid
- uv stable both in color and resin stability
- good range of sizes below 200 mm dia.

For larger pots, a sturdy rim to get hold of

The next one may be a step too far for some, black on the inside, white on the outside !
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

agavedave wrote:The next one may be a step too far for some, black on the inside, white on the outside !
Not for me. I would love to have white pots, as the sun in Portugal is merciless and black or terracota-coloured pots frequently get too hot (something I try to compensate by using square[ish] pots closely packed together).
1/1 height to diameter is good for most plants, but many mexican miniatures or Lithops need extra depth.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

You need "silver pots" then Jfabiao or wrap them in aluminium kitchen foil! You could also double pot by placing one inside another leaving a slight air space in between the pots as insulation.

I still prefer the old BEF terracotta square pots. I agree with Jfabaio that black pots are not a good idea for Succulents in the greenhouse since they will heat up in the sun more than most other colours, though at times that may be an advantage in dull old Britain. However not in summer if it is sunny unless your staging's are closely packed to keep the sun off the pot sides.

With the perched water table effect I am not sure shallow pans are that good for our plants. I am tending to find plants usually do better in full depth pots. Not too much of a problem when they are small, but it means pretty big pots when you require the diameter for clumping plants. Though they do not take up more staging room than a shallow pan, they are considerably heavier with all that extra compost in them.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.