Opuntia basilaris white flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Opuntia basilaris white flower

Post by Roger Mann »

How many of you have seen a white flowered or flecks of white in a basilaris flower. Also how many types of basilaris are there ?
Big question where can I buy one in the UK ? and perhaps a cristate or even a hybrid.
Many Thanks Roger Mann :cool:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Opuntia basilaris white flower

Post by Tony R »

Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Roger Mann
BCSS Member

Post by Roger Mann »

Thanks Tony, I did manage to buy a seedling of var brachyclada at the Havering Cactus Mart this Spring how ever
I am still looking hard for others. Many thanks for the web page.
Roger Mann, :cool:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Roger, I am sure I can sort you out with plants or cuttings, just send me a PM. with your details.
I have five forms of O. basilaris starting with the purple isi 99-26 form see picture below, then the small green type which you have O. basilaris var. brachyclada, then the large green type O. basilaris var treleasei, and then a cultivar known as O. basilaris c.v. nana, and finally a plant under the name Opuntia sp. Nova abcn 1396 which Brian at Abbey Brook used to sell as a form of basilaris, it is very similar to c.v. nana but with a less distinct heart shaped growth pattern.
Attachments
20180612_153956.jpg
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Roger Mann
BCSS Member

Post by Roger Mann »

Hi Ray
Thanks for your posting, yes I am interested. I have sent you a message, however did you receive it ?

Thanks Roger
makleodss
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by makleodss »

I have the same question where to get basilaris with white flowes as I am looking for it nearly 2 years.
Roger Mann
BCSS Member

Post by Roger Mann »

Hello Makleodss
As to finding a white flowered plant it really is a case of keep looking and asking around.. I have been told that some plants can have the odd white petal but they too are rare.
However keep looking ................. All the best Roger. :cool: