Simultaneous flowering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Simultaneous flowering

Post by gerald »

I only have a few doubles in my collection, but those doubles that I have often flower at exactly the same time, even if the flowers last for just 1-2 days.

It's obviously advantageous for pollination reasons that flowers of the same species open at the same time, but my question is how do they know when to do it so precisely? What's the biological mechanism?

It's uncanny, there are 365 days in the year, yet two completely separate plants flower on exactly the same day, almost to the minute.
chris25
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Simultaneous flowering

Post by chris25 »

Lucky you! I have been trying my hand at cross-pollinating some Haworthias this year but the first flowers on one spike usually open just as the last flowers on another finish. :sad:
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I've noticed that happening too.

For example, I have two Echinopsis subdenudatus which look noticeably different, yet a few weeks ago both flowered on the same day, for one day - but a different day, and quite a lot later than any of the other Echinopsis nearby. I've got 2 Rebutias tarvitaensis (again, different clones) both flowering today, at least a month later than most of my other Rebutias.

In China, there are the famous bamboos which flower once every 17 years, but of course all in the same year, to avoid insects (cicadas?), but that's on a very different timescale.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

I thought I'd add a picture - 3 x Copiapoa laui, all acquired from different sources, all flowering the same day (sorry I took the pic a day too late)
copiapoa.jpg
copiapoa.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
Maybe they secrete mating pheromones like insects do?
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

It varies a lot with species. I like to keep doubles of most plants I have to obtain seed, but while some will synchronize perfectly, others will not. My Astrophytum, for instance, are notable for this. Apart from A. asterias, all the others will rarely bloom at the same time, and because temperatures here in Portugal are very high the flowers rarely last more than a day or two.
One species that is amazing for its synchronicity is Turbinicarpus vierecki subsp. neglectus L1159. Because it is self-fertile I have several plants of different generations, from deliberate and volunteer sowings (apart from the original plant I bought). They all bloom simultaneously, even in different greenhouses!
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

I have Peniocereus greggii in bud at the moment, which is well known for its synchronous flowering in habitat. Interestingly the buds on the same plant synchronise with one another so on my plant the two most well developed buds are just hanging, looking like they will open any minute, whilst a smaller bud has suddenly shot up and looks to be catching up. I am pretty sure they will all open on the same night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by daniel82 »

My two pelecyphora strobiliformis seem to alternate, just as a flower or two fade on one, the others buds open. Just as THOSE fade, the other opens some more. Swear they do it to me on purpose....