CITES and cactus seeds: question  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Kees
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

CITES and cactus seeds: question

Post by Kees »

I have been given 100+ seeds of Melocactus smithii by the owner of the land the plants grow on. All I would like to have is a few plants. I've sown 10 seeds, if they germinate well I will have many seeds left. I do not want to waste them and am thinking of selling them on ebay.
M. smithii is a CITES II listed plant. Is it allowed to sell the seeds internationally?
Terry S.

Re: CITES and cactus seeds: question

Post by Terry S. »

No problem with CITES II seeds, they can be shipped without any documentation, the problem only clicks in with CITES I seeds. Within the EU you can ship anything. Why are we creating problems in horticulture for ourselves by leaving it? (No responses please David!).

Additional documentation and checking of permitted species lists is required for ANY seeds entering USA, Australia or New Zealand. Also, post to China is very unreliable.
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Cheers!
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:45 am Additional documentation and checking of permitted species lists is required for ANY seeds entering USA, Australia or New Zealand. Also, post to China is very unreliable.
Re-reading this part of your reply I have one more question: who is supposed to check the permitted species list? Buyer or seller?
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Think some regulations listed in this link will also cover Appendix I seeds:-

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=167287

Problems for horticulture were created by ill thought out CITES regulation not going out for public discussion in the first place, not leaving the EU.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Cheers!
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Deleted by forum administrator as not relevant.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Deleted by administrator.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

DaveW wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 pm Problems for horticulture were created by ill thought out CITES regulation not going out for public discussion in the first place, not leaving the EU.
Perhaps you can explain, then Dave, how leaving the EU will benefit us. As an advocate of Brexit you surely have an answer. If not, do you now accept that Brexit will in fact disadvantage us?

The point is, we have an existing situation. Whether or not Cites is just, right, or not is not now the issue. That is history. Whether we leave the EU may have major impact on our lives. In a very minor way, maybe, it will affect us here, and we have to face up to that. Feel free to remain in Brexit pain denial.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Kees wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 am I have been given 100+ seeds of Melocactus smithii by the owner of the land the plants grow on. All I would like to have is a few plants. I've sown 10 seeds, if they germinate well I will have many seeds left. I do not want to waste them and am thinking of selling them on ebay.
M. smithii is a CITES II listed plant. Is it allowed to sell the seeds internationally?
Why not sow them all? Chances are that you will have an adult plant out of 10 seeds are not that high. Maybe half will germinate, and of the five remaining maybe two or three seedlings will be lost in the first year or two. Then there are two remaining, of not unlikely you might lose one or both to overwatering or scorching or an unknown reason.

You could always sell off excess plants if you happen to have 50 seedlings later on. Small plants that might fit a matchbox or other small container are still easy to send via post in a bubble wrapped envelope.