iPad pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: iPad pictures

Post by iann »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am
iann wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:02 pm I have read that cameras always store images with the "top" being at the "top" of the camera, hence always portrait, then set the orientation tag appropriately.
That would make it landscape!

From my reading of the jpeg standard pixel order in the file is always top down, left to right plus an orientation flag with one of eight values (four angles and mirror). The problem does seem worse with aplle devices so perhaps their interpretation of the exif or jiff standards could be causinf problems but I did find that one of my images had the changed orientation when downloaded from device (not apple) to pc and uploaded from pc with no editing taking place compared with direct uplaod from device so finger of suspicion also points to the forum software.
Landscape, portrait, one of those!

Jpeg files can be any shape or size. Top down, left to right, doesn't mean they will always be landscape (portrait?). There is no requirement at all for jpegs files to contain an orientation flag, for example see the thumbnails in this forum which have no orientation flag and so sometimes display in the wrong orientation. Jpegs without an orientation flag can be landscape or portrait (or square) and will always display in their physical orientation. Those that have an orientation flag may or may not display correctly depending on your operating system version and software. Most of the newest OS's and the latest versions of most programs will display in the correct orientation, but you don't have to go back far (eg. Windows 7) to find your photos upside-down. The problem in the case of the forum is not that the orientation flag is ignored (unless maybe someone has a browser that even displays the full-size images wrongly?) but that the orientation flag is removed when the thumbnail is created.
Cheshire, UK
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I have a question to ask. If folk post a pic do they actually preview their post?

If so - does this preview always reflect the way others see the pic?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

ragamala wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm I have a question to ask. If folk post a pic do they actually preview their post?

If so - does this preview always reflect the way others see the pic?
I preview, but this isn't an issue that affects my posts. My camera doesn't set the orientation flag and my posted images have always been processed anyway.

Previews should reflect what everyone sees, because the thumbnail orientation does not depend on any EXIF flags and will never display any differently. The thumbnail image is terminally broken and if on its side it will display on its side for everyone. One possible exception might be images that are small and do not get resized by the forum software? I haven't tested with small images, might be fun for someone to play with.
Cheshire, UK
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

"Previews should reflect what everyone sees,"

Agreed. What SHOULD happen. But does this happen? What I am still not sure about is whether folk whose pics turn up sideways see it right or wrong on a preview.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Ragamala, all my pics. are correctly orientated before sending off to the forum. Invariably most appear 90 degrees out of phase when presented on the forum. It is not the end of the world, but I think it cuts down the viewers enjoyment. Cheers
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

All my photes are taken with a Canon SLR camera using RAW format and processed in the Canon Digital Photo Professional software. I always preview my posts; the photos are always at the correct orientation in the previews and in the final uploaded post. The problems with orientation appear to come with smartphones of one sort or another and I think Iann and others have explained the reasons in some detail.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.