Arizona Queen of the Night

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Arizona Queen of the Night

Post by Ali Baba »

In flower on 6th August, luckily the flowers are still open in the morning, which makes photos easier. The scent is very strong and carries a long way on the breeze.
Pgreggii.JPG
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Arizona Queen of the Night

Post by KarlR »

That's brilliant! It's one I've been meaning to grow for a while.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Super! Peniocereus greggii, I presume?
How warm do you keep this in winter? i've been wondering if it's a good candidate for an unheated cold frame..
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Yes P greggii, probably ssp transmontanus as the flowers are about 4 inches across.
Very easy to raise from seed, but a bit tricky to grow to flowering size, as they tend to sulk if the pot is too small, and they seem to resent repotting! They also like a lot more water than you would expect for a tuberous rooted cactus. The one in the picture was raised from seed sown around 1998.
I tried a couple of spare seedlings in an unheated greenhouse and they didnt thrive. Kept now at 5C in the winter.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Super flowers, Ali Baba.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.