To Chop, or Not

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

To Chop, or Not

Post by Ali Baba »

I have this very old Oreocereus celsianus which I inherited from my mum when she had to move into a nursing home about 13 years ago. She had had it since about 1980 or earlier, and in its latter years it subsisted in a pot with no soil at all. Since then it has had TLC and has grown much bigger, the new growth being tice the diameter of the previous growth. It has also developed a banana curve which threatens to topple the pot (a 7inch square pot for scale).

The question is, should I chop the top off and re-root it, or let it grow? Has anyone done the same with this species, and will it re-root OK?
celsianus.JPG
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: To Chop, or Not

Post by esp »

I think it looks terrific as it is.
Why not repot it into a substantially larger pot, with a lot of large/heavy stones mixed in with the potting mix for stability, but keeping the soil volume quite small for drainage and quick drying out. OK, and a stake while it gets reestablished..
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

I agree. DON'T CHOP IT.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

It looks good to me, so I'd agree with Tony and esp.

I have no experience so can't suggest how easy it would be too reroot a cutting of Oreocereus, like this, except my thought would be if you did decide to chop I would leave it until next spring.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

OK the Not Chops have it, the woodman will spare the tree!
Democracy at Work! :grin:
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

That has character!

put your chopper down!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

I'll let him grow by putting him in a bigger pot with the head vertical
at this size he will put branches at the base
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

I have 2 Oreocereus trollii which were sown in 1982, so a similar age. They are the smaller cousins of your celsianus. The photos are below.

Both have grown very differently, the first one is bowed and has 2 branches and is similar to yours. They have produced offsets which yours should, are slightly wider from about halfway up also. By the way, the second one is extremely heavy and I'd not consider chopping them, even many years ago. If you can wait they should offset in the same way.

Enjoy the character and individuality, as previously stated.
IMG_4475.JPG
IMG_4476.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks for the pictures Mike, that is interesting. I have some trollii seedlings from a sowing about 10 years ago. They are about 8 inches tall now, very handsome plants. I'm looking forward to seeing them get as impressive as yours.

Richaud, he went into that big pot with the head vertical about 3 years ago but he still grows in a curve! Hopefully an offset will balance the whole thing and I can lose the cobbles :grin:
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

pushing curved for Oreocereus is normal and that favors the rejections at the base