To Chop, or Not

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: To Chop, or Not

Post by MikeDom »

I did try to 'straighten' my 2 branched plant when I repotted it as it was toppling the pot in a similar way, having it wedged to stop it falling over wasn't always successful. Decided not to straighten it and it has leaned more and more over the past few years and then the offsets appeared. I agree that it looks like you're heading towards offsets which is good, so I'd let it bend and suggest a deep heavy pot for stability. Repotting these is an absolute nightmare, not just the weight of them but the spines are nasty. Now the race is on to see who gets flowers first...
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Sounds like a repot into a clay pot is called for.
Hmm, flowers, no sign of them so far...
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

I think that to see flowers you will have to wait a few more years
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

My Oreos, probably about 40 years old and survivors of long neglect. The main stem of the larger and thicker obviously set off bending long ago, then thought better of it and recovered.
Oreocereus1.JPG
Oreocereus2.JPG
Oreocereus3.JPG
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

When Oreocereus start to curve it is usually just before they send up new stems from below the soil surface or from the base of the stem.
and 1 more vote for no chop :grin:
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.