Lithops question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Lithops question

Post by rodsmith »

I have a specimen of Lithops julii fulleri that is behaving very oddly this year. Last year was a bit strange too as I only watered it twice during the whole of the summer, on 31 May and 17 July. During the winter it showed no sign of new leaves appearing and by mid July it had shrunk but there was still no sign of new leaves. I investigated by de-potting it and the roots were all ok so I potted it again with fresh compost on 25 July. I watered it on 1 August and it now appears to be in robust health - see photo. But it looks as though it will fail to produce any new leaves this year. This has never happened with any of my other lithops. Is it very unusual and can I expect it to behave normally next year? The photo was taken today.
Julii fulleri 17 August 2018.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lithops question

Post by iann »

Skipping a year is OK. Usually it will pick up where it left off the next year. Getting flowers would be a good sign that all is well again.
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks Ian, that is reassuring. I'll hope for some flowers - I didn't get any last year from this plant.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

I saw my first Lithops flower yesterday! Probably not the first one of anyone out here, but early for mine.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Aiko wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:54 pm I saw my first Lithops flower yesterday! Probably not the first one of anyone out here, but early for mine.
I've got two lithops plants in bud. It's a bit early for most of mine.
Rod Smith

rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Good news. My L julii fulleri has a bud, so it looks as though it was happy to carry on with its 2017 leaves.
Lithops julii fulleri bud 31 August 2018.JPG
Rod Smith

rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Now in full flower.
Lithops julii fulleri flowers 5 September 2018 (2).JPG
Lithops julii fulleri flowers 5 September 2018 (3).JPG
Rod Smith

David1971
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by David1971 »

Nice plant, thanks for sharing!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Lovely plant Rod, and very nice pictures too. Cheers
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

David1971 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 pm Nice plant, thanks for sharing!
Eric Williams wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 pm Lovely plant Rod, and very nice pictures too. Cheers
Thanks both.
Rod Smith