Sowing Aloe seeds.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Sowing Aloe seeds.

Post by Cactus Kid »

I have just harvested some aloe seeds from one of the hybrids A. 'Fang'

Are these viable immediately? Can I sow them now and place under lights to grow through the winter or do they need more time to mature?
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Sowing Aloe seeds.

Post by RICHAUD »

the seeds of Aloe must be sown as quickly as possible and cover them with a mixture perlite pozzolan for moisture
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Sowing Aloe seeds.

Post by Cactus Kid »

Interesting Richaud, thank you. I will certainly try them now, although I have had good germination from the BCSS Aloe seeds that were obviously harvested the previous year. I tend to sow mine on the surface, with just a very light dusting of soil over the top.

I agree about keeping them damp, but don't get on well with the baggie method. I cover them until about a week after germination and then get better results with regular spraying and air movement.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!