Mammillaria identity??

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BarbusBarbus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria identity??

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum & a relative novice with cacti & succulents - I only have 30 or so. I was given the below 3 cacti recently & I'm not sure of their names. Keen to know as I hate not having correct identification, but also so I can give them optimal overwintering conditions given its nearly September now.

From the research I have done I have come up with the following,

- Specimen 1: Mammillaria Albata seems likely, but could it be Mammillaria Orcuttii?
- Specimen 2: Mammillaria Hidalgensis?
- Specimen 3: I really don't know what this one is!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex
Specimen 1-A
Specimen 1-A
Specimen 1-B
Specimen 1-B
Specimen 2-A
Specimen 2-A
Specimen 2-B
Specimen 2-B
Specimen 3-A
Specimen 3-A
Specimen 3-B
Specimen 3-B
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Mammillaria identity??

Post by iann »

1. M. albata (aka M. geminispina) looks a lot like this, but I have a feeling it could turn out to be M. parkinsonii.
2. Is it a Mammillaria? Looks like a Coryphantha, although no grooves and wool in the axils.
3. Is it a cactus? Euphorbia experts apply here.
Last edited by iann on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire, UK
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

The Euphorbia might be E. mammillaris but I'm prepared to be corrected by a better expert!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
BarbusBarbus
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Many thanks for your replies, I've done a bit more research tonight on your suggestions,

Iann - I think you're right on both counts, plant 1 does seem more like M.parkinsonii, and plant 2 does seem to be a Coryphantha rather than a Mammillaria - now you've put me on the right track it seems Coryphantha Calipensis seems a good fit. Looking closer it does seem to have some wool in the axils, but its very sutble, and from what I've read the juvenile form of C.calipensis (like plant 2) varies quite a bit from its adult form.

Diane - I was stuck with plant 3, but yes think it might be a Euphorbia. Looked a bit deeper at this tonight and seems to fit well with pictures of E.Mammillaris v.Minima I can find, although there doesn't seem to be much info easily available. I was hoping it might get quite big over the next 10-15years, but if it is E.Mammillaris v.Minima I think I might be disappointed!!

Thanks again,

Alex