Some Echeveria Questions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KeithG
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Some Echeveria Questions

Post by KeithG »

I have some questions about some of my Echeveria. One question relates to the first two Echeveria - are these flower spikes or new rosettes?
DSC_0777.JPG
DSC_0778.JPG
DSC_0779.JPG
DSC_0776.JPG
DSC_0780.JPG
DSC_0782.JPG
DSC_0781.JPG
The next question relates to this broken flower spike that I picked up in a GC and (not really expecting anything as my understanding was that plants couldn't be propogated like this) I potted it up. It has sat there for about ten months not really doing anything but recently new growth has emerged........
DSC_0783.JPG
DSC_0784.JPG
Are these new rosettes or has the flower spike come back to life? If you look at the second photo you can see new growth emerging from below the soil.

Thanks for looking (tu)
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Some Echeveria Questions

Post by Diane »

In answer to your first question - yes, they are flower spikes and should slowly develop flowers when they have extended, although they can sometimes abort flowers and just keep growing.
The second question, yes they can be propagated from flower spikes - it looks as though yours has developed pups. This can be quite a good method of propagation, a flower spike laid on a gritty compost mix may root and develop babies from the small leaf bracts on the stem.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

Thank you Diane (tu)
Diane wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:10 pm The second question, yes they can be propagated from flower spikes - it looks as though yours has developed pups. This can be quite a good method of propagation, a flower spike laid on a gritty compost mix may root and develop babies from the small leaf bracts on the stem.
So rather than discard a spent stem it may be worth laying it on a seed tray to see what happens? If so that is good news as my Echeveria make good trading 'currency' on a general gardening forum that I use. I assume that only really applies to the 'fleshier' types of stems, not the thinner stems of, say, E.elegans?
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

You've got nothing to lose by trying, Keith, but results might be a bit hit or miss.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!