Problematic Lithops karasmontana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Problematic Lithops karasmontana

Post by rodsmith »

My L. karasmontana is always the last to show its new leaves and I frequently don't give it its first water until mid July or later. This year was no exception but last year's leaves haven't shriveled properly, apart from ½ of one leaf that has disappeared completely. Also there are distorted markings on one of the old and new leaves. I did give it some water on 1 August in view of the hot weather we were experiencing but it now appears to have shut up shop and isn't doing anything. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Lithops karasmontana 23 August 2018.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Problematic Lithops karasmontana

Post by Astro »

I've found that withholding water can be counterproductive and put plants into a 'conserve water at all costs' mode. This will ensure that it stops consuming the old leaves, and actually achieves the opposite of what was intended. Pleiospilos nelii can be particularly tenacious in that regard.

Maybe the best you can hope for at this point is to give it some water and get it into active 'growth' (or the Lithops interpretation thereof), and stop watering a bit earlier in Fall. It should consume at least the old leaf pairs over the winter, and hopefully the current pair in Spring and Summer of next year.
The alternative is to scar/cut away the old leaves and let the wounds dry up before watering again. Also, don't be afraid to remove some of the top dressing if the soil takes too long to dry out, that will help the pot dry out in emergency situations.

On last thing: I've noticed that the old leaves facing the sun dry out fastest, often remarkably so. Turning the pot so the remaining old leaves catch more sun may help as well.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks Astro. I'll go with your suggestion and try a little water - but first I'll check the state of the soil below the layer of grit.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

The compost was bone dry so I've soaked it in deep water for several minutes. I'll wait and see what happens.
Rod Smith

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Sometimes they stop growing. Maybe starved, maybe lost roots, not sure. They cling on to the old leaves in desperation. Just leaving them dry forever isn't productive, so eventually you have to just water them and hope things move along. The old leaves might suddenly start to go, or they might linger until next spring.
Cheshire, UK