Lithops hookeri susannae

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David1971
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops hookeri susannae

Post by David1971 »

Hi :) I received seeds from this variety and sowed them in autumn 2015. However, looking at the description from the Coles, the effort spent by Harald Jainta to locate the C91 locality, and the omnipresence of this species in any collection I am wondering what remain from the original variety in culture. Anyone else growing this variety?
DSC_4681.JPG
DSC_4681.JPG (250.08 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
DSC_4683.JPG
DSC_4683.JPG (272.71 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Astro
Registered Guest

Re: Lithops hookeri susannae

Post by Astro »

I have a few seedlings (ex MG), all similar in appearance and recognizably v susannae. Then again, what is 'recognizable' may be shaped by generations of selective propagation.

What is your seed source?

Some of my smaller seedlings (couldn't find any photos of my larger ones):
IMG_1357.JPG
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

Thank you very much Astro. So it seems that the problem was in my seeds. They came from a friend with a lot of experience but I haven't seen the mother plants, nor do I know how careful he is with pollinization. Just another example of the importance of resorting to reliable seed sources.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

in my opinion your friend made a mistake when he gave you the seeds because if they are all hookeri there is no hookeri susannae in your seedling
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

RICHAUD wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:54 pm in my opinion your friend made a mistake when he gave you the seeds because if they are all hookeri there is no hookeri susannae in your seedling
You are probably right Richaud. Thanks for the comment.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I'd go with L. hookeri, but no clearcut var. susannae. That isn't a guarantee of course, since the var. designation as used by Cole indicates that there is no definitive difference between any two individuals, but with a large number of plants you'd expect to see the var. susannae character in many of them. Quite the opposite, a number of yours might be considered as completely different varieties of L. hookeri.
Cheshire, UK
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

iann wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:28 pm Quite the opposite, a number of yours might be considered as completely different varieties of L. hookeri.
Yes Ian, that was the reason why I wanted to take a look at plants from other people.
Mesemaniac
Registered Guest

Post by Mesemaniac »

Here are my oldest susannae.
DSCN0708.JPG
The seeds were directly from Cole, sown in 1986.

Tim
Growing mesembs in the Mojave desert
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

Mesemaniac wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:34 pm Here are my oldest susannae.

DSCN0708.JPG

The seeds were directly from Cole, sown in 1986.
Wow! So these should be among the less "distorted" by selective cultivation. And very similar to those from Astro, so I will try seeds from Mesa. Thank you :)