Aloe Polyphylla issue

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aloe Polyphylla issue

Post by MikeDom »

I have quite a number of Aloe Polyphylla which are 3 years old and which I've had from seedlings. In 2 of them the leaves are starting to dry out by the looks of it, something I haven't seen before. Having had issues with overwatering of mesembs in the heatwave, is this a case of underwatering? I have been very careful since I know they shut down growing in high temperatures and assume they are starting to grow again now it is cooler. I don't have any other Aloes so it might be something that happens in other species as well. The leaves are semi-turgid and I have watered them today, the usual way by submerging the pot to the rim in rain water. They grow in pure pumice with coir 70:30 mix and slow release Osmocote added and the roots are firm. These 2 are growing more slowly than their brothers due to being in smaller pots.

The first plant with leaf 'drying'.
IMG_4638.JPG
IMG_4637.JPG
The second plant with leaf 'drying'.
IMG_4639.JPG
IMG_4640.JPG
Some of the bigger brothers on 2ft x 2ft slabs for scale, they all seem fine.
IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4642.JPG
And I don't think it's fusarium rot, rip a few plants after last winter.
IMG_4644.JPG
Any help much appreciated, I know form experience you have very little time to recover these plants, if indeed you can.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Aloe Polyphylla issue

Post by Herts Mike »

I must say I water mine pretty much every day throughout summer with a full strength Chempak 4 feed once a fortnight and they are fine.

It's not slug or snail damage by any chance?
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Spot on Mike, a quick look under the leaves show the characteristic ridges of slug/snail damage, although in the past I have had just webbing of the leave left where all the fleshy part is removed. I guess the difference in watering regimes can be down to the fact that mine live in the carnivorous plant greenhouse in high humidity so don't dry out that quickly (the slugs and snails love it!). Thanks again.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

They go brown at the tips when it's too dry but they seem to do that at some point no matter how much water you give them and I don't think you can water them too much. I wonder if they are happy in that compost mix? Doesn't sound rich enough to me my best looking one is growing in the ground. Also I would put them outside and give them more light, they go that flat and open with less light but the leaves are more erect and the plant more compact with better light.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

when Ecoscape introduced this plant in the US its main recommendation for the cuture of this wonderful species was that the roots should not have a temperature above 30 ° C above they necrosis
so in priority look at the rootswith the heat of this summer
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Absolutely. Get them outside all year round. Sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Hmmm.... interesting feedback. They did grow outside in their first year and then one contracted fusarium after it had some standing water on it for a day or so. Managed to control that with systemic fungicide and it recovered. They are in the sun from 11am thru 4pm, and the greenhouse is fully ventilated. Bear in mind the photos were taken before they were watered and this is how they look today. I agree they would do better planted out in the sun but that isn't practical due to space. From a feeding point of view I read that they won't spiral if overfed so have been a bit more conservative with feeding. I might take one aside and treat it differently as per the feedback and see the effects. I've had so many panics with these that I don't really want to lose them suddenly at this stage. Flowering is only a couple of years away...
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4648.JPG
IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4646.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

They are looking ok but to me look as if they need more water. Can you put the pots outside?
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

I found a place outside where they will get sun from dawn till 2pm, it's the only option I have unfortunately. I spent part of the afternoon carrying nine of them 120 feet down the garden 💪, the others will follow. I'll also increase the watering frequency.👌 I assume I'll have to turn the pots weekly to prevent the growing point leaning towards the sun.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

I think dawn to 2pm is perfect my big ones here in Portugal get full sun until about 11am and then shade and it gets up to 40c occasionally. I give the smaller ones a bit less direct sun but it is still very bright.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.