Haworthia Pumilla flower stalk offsetting

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Haworthia Pumilla flower stalk offsetting

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi I noticed that my Haworthia is growing offsets from its flower stem. Is this normal and if so should I cut them off and plant them as assuming that they will not survive otherwise? Thanks
Attachments
20180829_163507.jpg
20180829_163524.jpg
Last edited by Cactusgirl on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Aloe flower spike

Post by RICHAUD »

Aloe or Gasteraloe ?
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Re: Aloe flower spike

Post by Cactusgirl »

Actually neither I just checked my label and it's a Haworthia Pumilla Royal Highness! I need to learn the difference!
Terry S.

Re: Haworthia Pumilla flower stalk offsetting

Post by Terry S. »

Which of course is an intergeneric hybrid and shouldn't have the Haworthia pumila on the label. It is usually regarded as a xGasterhaworthia but with the acceptance of Tulista this is possibly no longer correct. It is common for this cultivar to produce offsets from the flower stalk and it can be propagated from them.
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Christian »

Some say that Haworthia produce offsets when you cut back the flower stalk:

"Cut them off at about 10 cm height when the first 1 - 2 flowers only have opened. As a rule the uppermost bract will form a new rosette which can then be removed and treated as an offset." See: http://www.haworthia.info/en/cultivation.html

Does anybody have any experience of this way of propagating Haworthia? I tried this on numerous occasions - it has never worked for me.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

I had one on a H. reinwardtii last year which I left attached until earlier this year and is now doing well on its own roots. I've had no more since unfortunately.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will take the offsets off and have a go at growing them. With regard to the name of the plant, is it incorrectly labelled? I purchased it from the cactus mart earlier this year so would expect it to be more likely correct than say, a plant from a graden centre??
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I believe that the hybrid name xGastulista has been published, in which case an up-to-date label would read xGastulista 'Royal Highness'. At least the cultivar name remains consistent even with all of the generic reassignments that have gone on.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:17 am I believe that the hybrid name xGastulista has been published, in which case an up-to-date label would read xGastulista 'Royal Highness'. At least the cultivar name remains consistent even with all of the generic reassignments that have gone on.
I don't think the parents of this hybrid have every been published (?), so we don't know which haworthia or gasteria was actually involved.
See Rowley, NCSJ 1957, 12 (4), 74.

My preference would be to retain the only published name xGasterhaworthia 'Royal Highness'.

(As an aside, many of the xGastulista that Rowley named in 2014, should actually be xGastonialoe since he named Aloe variegata as Tulista variegata whist we now consider it as Gonialoe variegata!!)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

Christian wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:52 pm Some say that Haworthia produce offsets when you cut back the flower stalk:

"Cut them off at about 10 cm height when the first 1 - 2 flowers only have opened. As a rule the uppermost bract will form a new rosette which can then be removed and treated as an offset." See: http://www.haworthia.info/en/cultivation.html

Does anybody have any experience of this way of propagating Haworthia? I tried this on numerous occasions - it has never worked for me.
"As a rule" seems a bit too optimistic. It has happened to me randomly, in different plants and at different times on the flowering cycle, with or without cutting the stem.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener