Different echeveria rainbow?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lan
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Different echeveria rainbow?

Post by Lan »

What is the difference between Echeveria 'rainbow' and 'perle von nürnberg variegata'?

I thought they were the same plant, but I read somewhere that they are not.
Are they the same plant? If not, what are the difference between them?

Many thanks,
Lan
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Different echeveria rainbow?

Post by MikeT »

The Schulz & Kapitany book Echeveria cultivars gives 'Perle von Nurnberg' as E. gibbiflora 'Metallica' x E. potosina (now E. elegans). E. 'Rainbow' is described as of unknown origin, possibly an E. cante hybrid.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Can't see any Cante in 'Rainbow'. I've always thought it was a Perle -v-N cultivar. It's not very stable and the best ones have good variegation whilst others can end up with too much pink and not enough chlorophyll to grow.
Stuart
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I think E. 'Rainbow' is being used for 2 different plants. This one looks as if it could be a cante/subrigida hybrid. The name does also seem to be in use for the variegated form of 'Perle von Nurnberg'.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Lan
Branch: None

Post by Lan »

Both Echeverias are very similar in appearance. The leaves of the Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg' have a distinct variegated edge, whereas 'Rainbow' has suffused variegation. But still...I find it hard to distinguish them apart.