Another mystery Adromischus - triflorus or hemisphaericus I think

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Another mystery Adromischus - triflorus or hemisphaericus I think

Post by KathyM »

I received this a few weeks ago with an order of Adromischus as either a substitute or a mistake. All of the plants arrived unlabelled. They didn't reply to my email, but I checked their site to see what it could be and it seemed the only candidate was Adromischus triflorus, so I stuck a label in.

I looked at their site again recently and saw that they also had since listed some forms of Adromischus hemisphaericus for sale with quite large spotted leaves and wondered if I'd got it wrong.

ImageAdromischus received unlabelled by Kathy, on Flickr

The picture's not great because it was such a grey day today, but I can take another picture tomorrow if needed. It hasn't flowered yet.

The plant I'd actually ordered was Adromischus sphenophyllus. I did wonder if they'd just sent me a different form to the one in the photo, but I've not seen pictures of A. sphenophyllus with maroon spots.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Another mystery Adromischus - triflorus or hemisphaericus I think

Post by ChrisR »

Looks like a form of A.alstonii to me Kathy. Who's the supplier?
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

KathyM wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:34 pm All of the plants arrived unlabelled.
That's not good!
That is actually quite bad service...
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Thank you for the ID, I had not even considered Adromischus alstonii. I did buy 2 A. alstonii forms from them with a smaller leaf size.

I got them from an Italian site. I was quite surprised when they arrived unlabelled, but their pictures show the plants unlabelled so with hindsight perhaps I should have expected it. They are selling several different forms of some species with different field numbers, and it can be impossible to match something like that up, so it's a strange thing to do. I thought I had managed to label the plants up from the photos, but now I am wondering if I have more mislabelled plants. I did buy 2 Adromischus hemisphaericus forms with field numbers, but one was spotty and the other wasn't, so I assumed I had labelled them up correctly.

Some of the plants lost a lot of leaves in the post, even for Adromischus, so I might post more pics for ID once they have grown back a bit.