Cacti seedlings care

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
profiler54
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER

Cacti seedlings care

Post by profiler54 »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Anthony and I am a new member to BCSS. I have been into gardening for a number of years but only recently become keenly interested in cacti.

I was eager to try my hand at growing from seed but might a have started my germination a bit late in the season. On 26-05-2018 I planted a small tray of 25 Echinopsis pachanoi seed. I have slowly acclimated 22 - 3 month old seedlings out of sealed plastic bag over the course of a week. One cacti appears to have died. So I am down to 21. I bottom watered them because soil was looking dry and placed them inside propagator set at 20 C. they are near a south-west facing window of conservatory
01-07-2018 planted Lophophora Williamsii germination rate was quite poor 4 out of 20 seeds germinated. They are still inside sealed plastic. inside propagator set at 20 C. they are near a south-west facing window of conservatory. During germination I left out at night and put inside propagator during day light hours
Any advice would be helpful. I want to try to get these little ones through winter without dying.
Thanks guys
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cacti seedlings care

Post by el48tel »

Hi
I pass on the advice given to me (another newbie) a few days ago from Ralph Martin

"Ho big are they? If pea size, they are safe to treat as adults.

However, if you are going to keep them warm, also give them some water.
Ralph Martin"
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Hi Anthony. New member too here. Will be interested to know how your success goes. I’ve also got a few seedlings planted in April to June 18 (Echinopsis subdenudata, Echinocactus grusonii, Astrophytum asterias, some mixed lithops). Not sure how to take care over winter. Was planning on keeping indoors next to a window in a non-heated room. Let’s compare notes!
Just ordered 50 x Mammillaria hernandezii seeds. Not sure if to plant now or wait till spring. Also have some Sclerocactus masses-verdae. Not sure when to attempt!
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

One thing that I would say to these members starting to raise from seed for the first time is to learn how to grow the easy and cheap seeds before trying the difficult ones. Trichocereus (Echinopsis) is ideal because they are easy and fast-growing. Once you have mastered these, then progress to the species such as Sclerocactus, which are challenging to germinate and grow on for even the most experienced succulent gardeners. Trying to raise the difficult species before the necessary expertise has been developed is likely to cause disappointment and maybe put one off the idea of raising from seed in the future.

Sowing of any species is always best done at the start of the growing season for that species. This gives seedlings of the maximum possible size before they shut down for their first period of dormancy.
profiler54
Registered Guest
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by profiler54 »

SpikyMike wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 pm Hi Anthony. New member too here. Will be interested to know how your success goes. I’ve also got a few seedlings planted in April to June 18 (Echinopsis subdenudata, Echinocactus grusonii, Astrophytum asterias, some mixed lithops). Not sure how to take care over winter. Was planning on keeping indoors next to a window in a non-heated room. Let’s compare notes!
Just ordered 50 x Mammillaria hernandezii seeds. Not sure if to plant now or wait till spring. Also have some Sclerocactus masses-verdae. Not sure when to attempt!
Hello Mike,

Nice to meet you... I am going to take the best of care getting my seedlings through the winter. I purchased a small LED light set up and a heated propagator and think I might try starting some more seeds in January-February just to get a head start on the growing season. Best of luck with yours.

Anthony Ashley
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Hi. Wondering how your seed germination went?
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire