sunburnt seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

sunburnt seedlings

Post by peter831shaw »

Hello,

first post to this forum, and as you might expect, I need help.

I have a couple of pots of seedlings that turned dark brown under too much light from fluorescent lights.

From what I have read its not a good thing, and they really have stalled out.

They are now in my greenhouse at work in a shady spot with some shade cloth for additional protection.

I have lots of other seedlings that were growing under the same fluorescent light and moved to the same greenhouse and are growing well.

Lophophoria williamsill seedlings.

Will they eventually grow out of this?
IMG-7394.JPG
Peter Shaw
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: sunburnt seedlings

Post by iann »

They don't look so bad. Are they really Lophophora? Odd colour for them to go, maybe you really did give them a lot of light. Anyway, just have to wait now. I don't think your current light levels are killing them but a little less might be better for growth. Some seedlings just go really intense colours at very modest light levels, but still need the light to develop. Again, not Lophophora in my experience. Here is a random L. williamsii picture, grown under lights and a few weeks old.
williamsii-110112.jpg
Cheshire, UK
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

As Iann said, they don't look too bad. A number of things can make seedlings turn that deep reddish-brown colour, namely light, cold and water stress. It's when they turn bright red that you need to worry. You did well to cut back on the light, they will soon resume growth. Here's a picture of some Lophophora seedlings of my own, not as young and red as yours but you still can see how some are really tanned (2" pot).
Lophophora_williamsii_11034_20120127.jpg
Lophophora_williamsii_11034_20120127.jpg (388.46 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I still think you've got a pot of perfectly healthy Gymnocalycium seedlings with the wrong label in ;)
Cheshire, UK
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

thanks, I'll keep my fingers crosses,

Iann, won't be the first time the labels are wrong, the seeds came from a dealer in Germany. I had some seeds from the CSSA labeled Mammallaria and they came up as split rocks :eek:

Peter
Peter Shaw