Non-member mistakenly sent Cactusworld

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ava
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Non-member mistakenly sent Cactusworld

Post by Ava »

I've been mistakenly sent a copy of this month's cactusworld - not complaining ;) but i take it the society will want it back? I haven't been a member for years, although it does have a member no. printed so perhaps i've accidentally been marked as renewed or something. Should i return this to the 'if undelivered' address?
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Non-member mistakenly sent Cactusworld

Post by Mike P »

Maybe its an omen and you should rejoin.....
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Another ex-member posted on the BCSS facebook group yesterday to say that she'd received one, too. My guess is that an old member list has been used by mistake and my only concern is that some very recent joiners might not have got theirs. I wouldn't worry about it for now - it's not your fault! Have a read.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

I was a member of a family history society and my membership lapsed - family tree was on the back burner and I wasn't reading the journals anyway..

A year or so later I emailed them to ask a question about a family history matter and they told me they could only answer questions from members. After I re-joined and re-asked my question they told me they couldn't help me with my question (i.e. the information wasn't available). I didn't renew at the end of the year.

Then three years later I got the December issue through the post, with the renewal form in....... :shock: :???: :wink:

Needless to say I chucked it in the bin. :roll:
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

I emailed Tony Morris, our membership secretary, but he was already aware of a problem and could assure me that the BCSS is taking steps to make sure that everyone who should get a CactusWorld does.
I still think it's very unlikely that you'll be asked to send it back.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

I'm a member and I haven't received mine... should I worry?
All things small and not (too) spiny.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

No. The official mailing date for September's was Tuesday. It can always take a good few days for everything to work through the post. If recent members have been missed off the mailing list (and it's purely my guesswork that this is what has happened) then it'll take a bit longer while someone works out which ones are missing. That said, to begin with we need to let them get on with fixing it - I could imagine that lots of enquiries about missing copies would be unhelpful.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Phil_SK wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:11 pm No. The official mailing date for September's was Tuesday. It can always take a good few days for everything to work through the post. If recent members have been missed off the mailing list (and it's purely my guesswork that this is what has happened) then it'll take a bit longer while someone works out which ones are missing. That said, to begin with we need to let them get on with fixing it - I could imagine that lots of enquiries about missing copies would be unhelpful.
Ok ... so how long should a new member awaiting the arrival of his copy of CW wait? The instruction on the inside cover of said journal indicates that one should make contact at the end of September if one is lacking the magazine. But since the system malfunction has come to light at the start of the distribution cycle, surely more information about the problem is useful to those who operate it.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

And what happened to the membership card that should have been included?
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Terry S. wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 pm And what happened to the membership card that should have been included?
Is this aimed at me? There isn't a membership card that I can see without opening the packaging. The address has my old membership number beneath it, though.