Damaged obesa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ivan
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Damaged obesa

Post by Ivan »

I have a couple of male E. obesa and this one female. Earlier this season they all flowered and the female got nice large seed pods. I noticed one day that the seeds disappeared. I discovered later that the pods exploded and the seeds had scattered. Perhaps I will find some stray plants in some nearby pots.

As you can see the plant was damaged somehow and I now have some offsets. Is it safe just to twist off the offsets and place them on totally dry grit/soil? Will they grow new roots or is there a better way? I don't plan on doing anything until I try and isolate and harvest these possibly new seed pods, if I am successful at propagating this second batch of seeds.
Euphorbia obesa
Euphorbia obesa
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Damaged obesa

Post by Aiko »

It was easy for my Euphorbia meloformis, so I don't think you will have any difficulties rooting any offset. They will grow nicely once on their own roots too.
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Aiko wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:01 pm It was easy for my Euphorbia meloformis, so I don't think you will have any difficulties rooting any offset. They will grow nicely once on their own roots too.
Thanks, Aiko. Here are a couple of the males. Incidentally, these were grown from seeds I got from you Jan. 2013.
Euphorbia obesa
Euphorbia obesa
brianc
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by brianc »

Hi Ivan.
I normally cut my offsets off, but you can twist them off. Do not throw the pot away as you will have
afew seeds which have just dropped down onto the compost just spray the pot with water now and
again and hopefully you should have afew seeds germinate. To stop the offsets from weeping sap i
stand the offsets in a saucer of water, i then root them inperlite and fine grit mixture i do not use
any sort of compost. Hope this helps.
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Thank-you Brian, it does help. I was planning on using a soil and grit mix but I will leave out the soil. I do have a third offset coming as well so I may have more than I bargain for.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

You would do better waiting until next year, they won't do much this time of year.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

One of my Euphorbia obesa seedlings got damaged and the offsets all look to be monstrose. Should be interesting to see what they do.