pesticide cupboards

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

pesticide cupboards

Post by Paul D »

I'm going to get a lockable small metal cupboard for greenhouse chemicals. There seem to be various types, variously labelled for pesticides, for COSHH, for chemicals, etc. They all look much the same but are different colours- the pesticides ones being dark red. Looking at the specs they all seem to be similar- fireproof for 30 mins, leakproof sump tray, 2 or 3 point lock. I can't see a difference other than some of them have vents.
I would prefer a white or grey one, which is usually labelled for "standard chemicals". Is this a bad idea? Should I be buying a dark red "pesticides" one? Most of them come with a variety of safety warning labels that can be stuck on the outside which would seem to imply that they are interchangeable.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: pesticide cupboards

Post by Phil_SK »

The cupboards you've been looking at are, in my opinion, not fit for purpose and I'm astonished that their sale continues and that there are so few alternatives. The bits you can see are powder-coated but the locking bits are not, nor are bits within any reinforcing sections.
As you've worked out, there is very little difference between them other than the colour.
Although the photos below are from a cupboard used to store concentrated acids (red one) and some other fairly nasty stuff (yellow one) they became corroded within about a year (photo is after 5 years). In a damp greenhouse, even empty, I could imagine that key bits would be shedding rust within a few years.
IMG_3313.jpg
IMG_3314.jpg
IMG_3315.jpg
Have you considered tough plastic toolboxes or chests or equipment cases that you can lock with a padlock?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Thanks Phil.
Wow, that's not so good. I hadn't thought about plastic ones. I see there are polypropylene cupboards available. I'll do some more exploring.
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by jfabiao »

I have no idea what and if there are rules for storage of these products in the UK, but could it be that the colour and labeling are mandatory in case an accident occurs and emergency personnel need to be aware of their presence?

Here in Portugal you are obligated by law to fulfill a number of conditions regarding storage, application and disposal of residues in order to be eligible to buy and use pesticides, herbicides, etc. Of course it is unpractical for the hobbyist with a few bottles to meet those strict standards and certainly not worth the trouble for officials to check if you actually meet them, as opposed to large agricultural operations, but maybe it's worth checking your local regulations just to be on the safe side.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

jfabiao wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:30 am I have no idea what and if there are rules for storage of these products in the UK, but could it be that the colour and labeling are mandatory in case an accident occurs and emergency personnel need to be aware of their presence?

Here in Portugal you are obligated by law to fulfill a number of conditions regarding storage, application and disposal of residues in order to be eligible to buy and use pesticides, herbicides, etc. Of course it is unpractical for the hobbyist with a few bottles to meet those strict standards and certainly not worth the trouble for officials to check if you actually meet them, as opposed to large agricultural operations, but maybe it's worth checking your local regulations just to be on the safe side.
Yes you are quite correct. There is a requirement for labelling in the UK but not colour. There are COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health) regulations on storage and I'm only looking at cabinets which meet the requirements.
Paul D
BCSS Trustee

Post by Paul D »

Having done a little bit of searching the plastic ones are a lot more expensive than the metal ones. I can get three metal ones for the price of one plastic! So, despite the potential rust problem, I think I'll go for the metal one after all, and can replace every couple of years if need be. One company even quoted me £75 to drill a hole in the back of a plastic cabinet. Ridiculous.
I'm waiting to hear back from a manufacturer as to whether the white (acid) cabinet has the same spec as the red (pesticide) cabinet.

[edit] The manufacturer confirms that at least as far as the COSHH regulations go the different colours have the same spec. Interestingly, the pesticide one is about £20 more than the acid one.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, I deliberately didn't mention that there are proper plastic chemical storage cupboards because I knew how expensive they are.
Of course wood has be used reliably for hundreds of years......
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia