An etoliated Anacampseros and some to identify

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

An etoliated Anacampseros and some to identify

Post by KathyM »

The Anacampseros marlothii plant on the left was bought from a branch plant sale a month ago and looks to be light deprived; what is the best way to get an attractive-looking plant out of it? I have read occasionally about people growing Anacampseros from leaf cuttings, does this work?

Image2 Anacampseros marlothii plants. by Kathy, on Flickr

The one on the right is another Anacampseros marlothii as a comparison.

And then 3 I don't know names of. This is one I bought from Bradford's auction a couple of months ago.

ImageAnacampseros from Bradford auction in flower by Kathy, on Flickr

And the leaves of the plant:

ImageAnacampseros from Bradford auction by Kathy, on Flickr

One I've had ages but never known the name of:

ImageAnacampseros, bigger leaf, in flower by Kathy, on Flickr

and its leaves:

ImageAnacampseros, bigger leaf, by Kathy, on Flickr

I've also had this last one for ages but not managed to get a picture of it with its flowers open. It has smaller hairier leaves.

ImageAnacampseros,smaller leaf, by Kathy, on Flickr

I have been collecting seeds from my plants and at the moment the names on the packets look like this, so any help with better names would be appreciated!

ImageI've been collecting Anacampseros seeds by Kathy, on Flickr
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: An etoliated Anacampseros and some to identify

Post by Apicra »

Hi KathyM,

Etiolated stems on Anacampseros can be safely cut out to force new compact shoots, but I would wait until next year for the plant to grow a bit more first.

Yes, propagation from leaves is possible, but very slow. Growing from seed is easier and faster.

So your first is A. marlothii, second A. vanthielii. third A. arachnoiddes and the fourth is probably A. namaquensis.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: An etoliated Anacampseros and some to identify

Post by KathyM »

Thank you for the names, I will write some more useful names on my seed packets! I reckon I must have had the Anacampseros arachnoides and probable A. namaquensis over 15 years without ever knowing what they were. I think I won them in a raffle. I don't remember ever seeing the last one in flower, but I've sometimes seen a bit of petal sticking out of a bud and it had the kind of bubblegum pink colour that A. namaquensis seems to have.

I had hoped the leggy A. marlothii might manage to flower, but it doesn't look like it is going to. I will give it a trim next year. It has lost a few leaves so I might leave them at the edge of the pot to see what they do.