Different colour Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Different colour Lithops

Post by Cactus Kid »

Out of probably a couple of hundred plants, these two stand out.

Texas Rose
Texas Rose.JPG

Hammer Ruby
Hammer Ruby.JPG
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Different colour Lithops

Post by iann »

I like 'Hammeruby', well grown plants especially look really good. The yellow flowers do nothing for me though, perhaps my fashion sense is broken.

Nothing but praise for pink flowers though, different is just special I suppose.
Cheshire, UK
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

CactusKid ..... you're not wrong. Two stunningly good plants. And the colour of the Texas Rose is amazing. I'm not a big fan of Lithops but that plant has just gone onto my "must have" list.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I bought a Rose of Texas plant at the Leeds meeting on Monday. The pink petals were sticking out of the bud so I thought it would be open the next day, but the weather has been so grey that I still haven't seen the flower.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Lots of Lithops show pink petals in the bud but then turn out to be yellow, but fingers crossed this is a real one because the pink flowers do look good on this species (pink on grey, trusting my fashion sense again but I think I'm right).
Cheshire, UK
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I did buy a labelled plant, I wasn't just guessing from 2mm of petals! It kind of opened today but not fully.

ImageLithops verruculosa Rose of Texas flower, not quite open by Kathy, on Flickr
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I got there too!
verruculosa-0926.jpg
Oops, that one is regular weird L. verruculosa colour. These are pink:
texas-0926.jpg
Cheshire, UK
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Mine finally opened more. The colour has changed a lot.

ImageLithops verruculosa Rose of Texas by Kathy, on Flickr
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

A nice display of L. verruculosa. Interesting how 'Rose of Texas' can vary in colour so much.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I am not sure where Steve Hammer established the name 'Rose of Texas' for this cultivar, but the photograph 194 in his Lithops book is typical of the original plants. On this basis KathyM's plant looks the closest of those illustrated. With any cultivar that is based on a seed strain, there is always a problem in deciding how much variation can be allowed before the cultivar name no longer applies. This is a seedling from Steve's original plants:
Lithops Rose Texas.jpg
Lithops Rose Texas.jpg (132.6 KiB) Viewed 3028 times