Yet more Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Yet more Lithops

Post by iann »

L. ruschiorum has quite small flowers
ruschiorum-0926.jpg
For some reason, so do these L. hermetica seedlings
hermetica-0926.jpg
Can't accuse L. aucampiae of small flowers
aucampiae-0926.jpg
Or Lapidaria
lapidaria-0926.jpg
There's some thought that L. karasmontana var aiaisensis and the Opalina form are much the same thing
aiaisensis-0926.jpg
opalina-0926.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Yet more Lithops

Post by Astro »

My L. ruschiorum farm is almost old/large enough to flower. Nothing spectacular, but I guess the tiny flower goes with the tiny plant body. I'm still waiting for vallismariae to show some yellow. One of these years...
L ruschiorum
L ruschiorum
L. verruculosa with salmon flowers, fading to straw yellow as the flowers age.
L verruculosa C198
L verruculosa C198
The Tanquana plantation in action. Most plants are getting their first flowers (4 years old from seed).
Tanquana hilmarii
Tanquana hilmarii
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Astro
you grow them outdoor because I see all these pine needles ?
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

this one first time flowering from seed this year
IMG_1833.JPG
vallis-mariae
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

My L. vallis-mariae flowered in 2016, but not last year. They got infested with mites which I didn't notice for some time. This year they're doing well but no flowers yet. Doesn't seem to be the easiest species.
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

I agree, vallis mariae isn’t so easy to grow. If you look hard at my photo you can see a sister seedling of the same age!! Mine has resisted the annual leaf cycle sometimes and refused to grow a new pair. At the moment it is behaving itself 😀😀
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

RICHAUD wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 am Hi Astro
you grow them outdoor because I see all these pine needles ?
Yes, they're outside all year long (no greenhouse), close to a pine tree that sheds an annoying amount of needles. I move them under a shelter once the rain starts (during Winter).

I have a number of vallis-mariae, but just one batch that should be more or less flowering size (6 years old now). I'm happy if the majority changes their leaves in any given year. I'm not potting them up in a custom more alkaline substrate (which they allegedly prefer), so maybe I'll try that for a few plants and see if it matters.
Ali Baba wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:53 pm I agree, vallis mariae isn’t so easy to grow. If you look hard at my photo you can see a sister seedling of the same age!!

One of my 6-year-old v-m is now the size of a healthy one-year-old aucampiae... If it were a more common species I'd probably have 'repurposed' it by now, but I keep hoping it'll catch up one day.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Astro wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 pm One of my 6-year-old v-m is now the size of a healthy one-year-old aucampiae... If it were a more common species I'd probably have 'repurposed' it by now, but I keep hoping it'll catch up one day.
By co-incidence my flowering plant is 6 years old. Definitely smaller than my aucampiaes though (so far at any rate)