Cactus and Succulent Fertilisers.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bonsai2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: FIFE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cactus and Succulent Fertilisers.

Post by Bonsai2 »

As someone new to Cactus and succulent growing, I have read some of the posts on the use of fertilisers and there are a number of opinions which are helpful but also slightly confusing.

I see that commercially there appears to be a wide range of foods advertised. Cactus Focus, Miracle- Gro for indoor plants and Tomato Food are three of the recommendations. One grower recommends tomato food for increased flowers.

I would be grateful for suggestions from experienced growers.

Many thanks

Bonsai2
Bonsai2
(Member)
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Cactus and Succulent Fertilisers.

Post by D^L »

Most people advocate Chempac 8 or the near equivalent, Garden Direct low nitrogen. I use this but add some sodium nitrate to give a balanced fertiliser with a readily accessible form of nitrogen, as suggested following some trials in the US a few years ago.
Whatever make sure it is rich in a wide range of trace elements.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

There are a variety of opinions about feeding and there have been some interesting discussions on the Forum about this topic. I also use Chempak 8, about once a month between May and September, I think some people use tomato feed with good results.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Bonsai2
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE

Post by Bonsai2 »

Thank you Juster and David.

I will start off with Chempak.
Bonsai2
(Member)
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

You could even use the Chempak Bonsai fertiliser if you have that already, it's quite similar to their cactus fertiliser.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

When you read about the requirements of each INDIVIDUAL plant you discover that they all differ like all other species on the planet. To wish for a universal solution is a big ask.
The only commonality in the data sheets I have seen is the need for the element potassium to be more than that for nitrogen. Vitax and Chempak 8 achieve this. Tomorite is contrary to this.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

el48tel wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm When you read about the requirements of each INDIVIDUAL plant you discover that they all differ like all other species on the planet. To wish for a universal solution is a big ask.
The only commonality in the data sheets I have seen is the need for the element potassium to be more than that for nitrogen. Vitax and Chempak 8 achieve this. Tomorite is contrary to this.
Agreed. I use Chempak but don't use the Low Nitrogen one. I use High Potash, Fully balanced and High Nitrogen, but not at full strength. For example, I use High Nitrogen for the caudex succulents that grow in nature in a nutrient rich soil and High Potash for cacti and mesembs. A bit of research and seeing how your plants respond is more important than a universal application.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).