What should I do? Lithops newbie firsttimer...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
helenbarli
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

What should I do? Lithops newbie firsttimer...

Post by helenbarli »

Hello all... I have been lurking around in this forum and I am sooooo much into Lithops. Finally I am ready to grow my own lithops! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please give me some advise. I have just planted seeds mix for a 2 days now. And today I received an info that I have to go to Vietnam for a trip mid Dec. Now there isn't anyone else that can help to look after these babies. Is it save for me to keep them in Ziplock baggies until I return, third week of Dec?

Some background: I live in Jakarta, currently they are in in 4 parts Perlite, 1 part pumice, 1 part volcanix sand, 1 part zeolite. I keep them indoors as temperature here are too high (range of 33C daytime and 28C night) for germination. I created a styrofoam box with timed fan and light of 22C daytime, 12 night.
Attachments
F57D008B-2FC3-4D2D-B72D-193C12E189B1.jpeg
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What should I do? Lithops newbie firsttimer...

Post by iann »

Looks like they'll have to be safe in their bags! That's longer than I'd leave them, but I know some growers leave them that long. They may be a little fatter than ideal, but so long as the soil isn't too wet and reasonable sterile, then they should be fine. Hope your little fridge holds up, I don't know if the babies would do well constantly around 30+C.
Cheshire, UK
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

The fans won't bring down the actual temperature, but if you have them in an air conditioned room then the room temperature will be the determining factor.

Take care that the lights don't actually increase the temperature inside in the box.
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

iann wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:58 pm Looks like they'll have to be safe in their bags! That's longer than I'd leave them, but I know some growers leave them that long. They may be a little fatter than ideal, but so long as the soil isn't too wet and reasonable sterile, then they should be fine. Hope your little fridge holds up, I don't know if the babies would do well constantly around 30+C.
Hello Ian, it is good to finally talk to you. I believe you're the Lithops expert. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I have a few questions, please bear with me.

1. Is it necessary for lithops germination for light? Currently if i do not use LED grow light, inside box will be dark. Is 700lm good enough as a start?
2. Does the difference in temperature matters for seed germination? Daytime 22C, night time 15C sort of thing...
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

habanerocat wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:23 pm The fans won't bring down the actual temperature, but if you have them in an air conditioned room then the room temperature will be the determining factor.

Take care that the lights don't actually increase the temperature inside in the box.
Hello habanerocat. ๐Ÿ˜Š Yes lighting will be another trail & error for me. Using LED grow lights, i hope it does not make the temperature messed up. Lol.

Currently i am still trial and error how low can the temperature of chiller be with my room temparature 28C-30C constantly.
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

An.oh, i did not know how to remove that "solved" option. Was pressed down by mistake ๐Ÿ˜…
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I've 'unsolved' it for you (it's the tick icon, for future reference).
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

Phil_SK wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:11 am I've 'unsolved' it for you (it's the tick icon, for future reference).
Thanks Phil ๐Ÿ˜†
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

A day/night temperature swing is helpful for the germination of most succulent plant seeds; for Lithops I would suggest 10 -15C at night and 20 - 25C during the day. I have no idea as to whether Lithops need light for the seeds to germinate, but what I do know is that they certainly need light soon after germination or they will etiolate badly. You can get suitable conditions by sowing on a bright but not sunny windowsill during spring. Seed is sown on the surface of the compost and the pots need to be kept continually moist until germination starts.
helenbarli
Registered Guest

Post by helenbarli »

Terry S. wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:23 am A day/night temperature swing is helpful for the germination of most succulent plant seeds; for Lithops I would suggest 10 -15C at night and 20 - 25C during the day. I have no idea as to whether Lithops need light for the seeds to germinate, but what I do know is that they certainly need light soon after germination or they will etiolate badly. You can get suitable conditions by sowing on a bright but not sunny windowsill during spring. Seed is sown on the surface of the compost and the pots need to be kept continually moist until germination starts.

Thank you Terry. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š i am extremely motivated after reading in your website. Lol. I hope you are the same Mr.Terry Smale, not mistaken for another.