Name for this mesemb?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Name for this mesemb?

Post by iann »

All I've got so far is Ruschia, and even that might be wrong. It is very similar to R. uncinata but more spiky on the ends of the leaves. The flowers are very rare for me, but maybe I'm growing it wrong.
ruschia-1010.JPG
Cheshire, UK
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Name for this mesemb?

Post by topsy »

Hi,

I too have this plant but more info than you have - M1852.222 Allemorgens, and R.species Personally I think this is may be an Antimima, but who knows. On the Mesa Garden catalogue it is still listed as Ruschia sp.

Allemorgens is a railroad siding in Western Cape not far from Riet Kloof and Spits Kloof. My plant has flowered but not this year so far. I got it from Tom Jacobs in Belgium when he was giving up his collection. That's all the info I have.

Suzanne Mace
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

For a moment I thought this might be Smicrostigma viride, but the flower appears to be structurally different. Ever had a capsule?

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Never had a capsule. I considered Smicrostigma, but the appearance isn't quite right. I do have R. uncinata (that I'm fairly sure is not Smicrostigma) and the leaves are less spiky, longer, and more widely-spaced.

I can't ID Antimimas any better than Ruschias, but I didn't think this was one. Or maybe it is and isn't like the little ones I'm used to? This plant is on the same scale as R. uncinata, so perhaps one of the Antimimas that used to be Ruschias?
Cheshire, UK
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

HI,

I am totally certain that this is Ruschia or Antimima. The petal arrangement of "bunching" is indicative of those genera. To determine whether it is R or A you would need a capsule as to quote Mesembs of the World "The small, hook-shaped closing bodies and the short, tangentially arranged expanding keels in most fruit capsules are the main differences between Ruschia and Antimima".

Suzanne
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I only have one clone but maybe I'll get lucky.
Cheshire, UK
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Iann,

Would you like some Ruschia/Antimima cuttings from the plants I have? If so please send me a PM and I will see what I can do.

Suzanne