Three stages of a lithops flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Three stages of a lithops flower

Post by rodsmith »

I think the flowers on my L. hookeri v.Dabneri look attractive even when well spent. Incidentally, I've discovered that we can upload much larger JPEG pictures now. These are all near to 3 MB in size.
18 September
18 September
7 October
7 October
10 October
10 October
10 October
10 October
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Geri88
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Three stages of a lithops flower

Post by Geri88 »

Very pretty! Did you focus-stack?
All things small and not (too) spiny.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I'm always a bit sad when they reach the bedraggled stage although there can be some intense colours. Some of the yellow flowers go completely red. L. bromfieldii has good colours, and L. meyeri.

I twist up the petals when they are thoroughly limp, or they tend to stick to the bodies and make a mess. Dead petals will leach out colour for years when they are watered and this stains the plants. Probably doesn't happen in very arid climates.
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Geri88 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 pm Very pretty! Did you focus-stack?
I didn't use focus stack. I have used it but have never really got to grips with the various options. The photos were taken with various stop settings - f4.5, f8 and f22.
iann wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 pmI twist up the petals when they are thoroughly limp, or they tend to stick to the bodies and make a mess. Dead petals will leach out colour for years when they are watered and this stains the plants. Probably doesn't happen in very arid climates.
That's a useful tip, Ian. I have found that the petals stick to the leaves but haven't bothered to find a solution. I rarely water onto the plant bodies, though, so staining isn't so much of an issue for me.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
sechjoh
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by sechjoh »

Nice flower show and photos (tu)
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM