Kleinia nerifolia in flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Kleinia nerifolia in flower

Post by Tina »

Here's my Kleinia nerifolia in flower,its a problem plant when you repot it as its top heavy so always starts off upright and over time seems to lean.
I have had this for more than 6 years, it came as a rooted offset from a grower in Cyprus it flowers but doesn't make a lot of growth. it has a scent but not as nice a smell as fockea in flower but better than none.
kleinia NERIFOLIA 10_18.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Kleinia nerifolia in flower

Post by esp »

A nice display!

I've had one of these as an unrooted cutting for 2.5 years - no sign of any roots, although it did flower over the winter of 2016/17.

Any clues what is needed to get it to root? AIthough gradually becoming more and more shrivelled, it's still looking healthy and is wanting to sprout its winter leaves at the moment.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

It's a winter grower, growing in the Canary Islands, so if you are keeping it in a heated greenhouse or above freezing environment, I would suggest you water it a little. Providing you grow it in a very well-drained mix, as that is how it grows naturally, which should encourage rooting.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I would try heated base, moist cat litter and water now, as Liz stated these are winter growers so now is the time for it to root. Did you keep it dry previously ?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

Over the last 2 and a half years, I've tried a few things!
Although I acquired the cutting at Easter, so probably not the best time of year. It seemed to prefer rotting than rooting when I tried it damp with bottom heat then.
I'll give it another go, hopefully it's a bit more desperate and seasonally active now.