SB Plant Invigorator Winter Use??

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rca
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

SB Plant Invigorator Winter Use??

Post by rca »

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to the forums, have had cacti for about 4 years and I have recently had my first slight outbreak of mealy bug. The affected plants quarantined, I removed all visible bugs from those with only one or two were treated with a systematic and have since weekly sprayed with SB Plant Invigorator. The worst affected were unfortuanely thrown away just to be safe.

My question is as it has an element of foliar feed can I continue to spray my cacti with SB during the dormant period or will it affect their dormancy. I apologise if that is a silly question, I emailed the company and they were unsure as they had not tested.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Many thanks,
RCA
Terry S.

Re: SB Plant Invigorator Winter Use??

Post by Terry S. »

With the thick waxy epidermis that cacti have, I suspect that the foliar feeding element of SB is minimal and is a feature that probably need not concern you. If your plants are in a greenhouse, the breeding rate of pests will be reduced considerably during the cool winter months. So just keep an eye out for new mealy outbreaks and then spray as necessary. Do this on a day when the plants can dry off within a few hours. If the plants are in a dwelling house then pests can continue to breed and spraying might be required more frequently.
rca
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by rca »

Thank you so much, that's really helped! They are indoors so I will continue to spray and keep an eye out.

Thanks again!
Rca
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

As SBPI works by a "physical mode of action" you need to thoroughly wet all surface areas of the plant, the soil and pot surfaces, even underneath. Basically you're giving the plant a good watering. So depending where your plant is and the temperatures it's exposed to, you need to be careful about watering this time of year.