Veltheimia virus?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Veltheimia virus?

Post by KathyM »

I bought this plant from Harrogate autumn flower show and as soon as I got it home and saw it in better light I realised the leaves are covered in yellow marks. I am concerned it is a disease or virus; I can't find any pictures online of Veltheimia plants with viruses but it has a similar look to things like Hippeastrum. I know a lot of cacti and succulent growers are also fans on South African bulbs so I wondered if anyone has come across this before.

ImageVeltheimia plant bought from Harrogate autumn flower show with yellow leaves by Kathy, on Flickr

ImageVeltheimia plant bought from Harrogate autumn flower show with yellow leaves by Kathy, on Flickr
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Veltheimia virus?

Post by Ali Baba »

Sadly I think you are correct, that looks very much like a virus infection. Unfortunately there’s no treatment so you need to consider destroying the plant as pests like thrips and aphids are likely to spread the virus to other plants that are susceptible
Pjt124
Registered Guest
Branch: HARROW

Post by Pjt124 »

Just had a look at mine that I grew from seed from RHS Wisley. Now flowering for the first time, not very large though.
No marks on the leaves just plain green.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Growing a Veltheimia from seed is a good way to ensure you have a virus free plant.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Ali Baba wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 am Sadly I think you are correct, that looks very much like a virus infection. Unfortunately there’s no treatment so you need to consider destroying the plant as pests like thrips and aphids are likely to spread the virus to other plants that are susceptible
Thank you, I figured that might be the case. I wish I'd spotted it before I bought it. I also bought some Begonias from a plant society that look to have a virus so my trip to Harrogate flower show was a bit of a disaster really.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I try spotting the yellow marks you mention, but I don't see anything out of place. I guess it is me.
Are you sure these are not normal yellow marking that are part of the pattern of the leaves?

But anyway, you can always cut off the leaves and ditch those, instead of throwing away the entire plant. Just keep the bulb and wait for next season for it to become alive again.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

They have a streaked pattern that looks like a mosaic virus. It's easier to see in person that in the photos, but there's a few particularly clear bits in the photos.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Aiko, Veltheimia has very plain evenly green leaves, these are definitely not normal!
Cutting the leaves off won’t get rid of the virus, just weaken the plant further.
Geosec
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Geosec »

Yes it's a virus I'm afraid. I would burn the plant to ensure no spread to other bulbous plants, veltheimias are quite tough in my experience, throwing it on the compost heap might not do the job. Also dispose of the soil and sterilise the pot.

I have three bulbs which I have not yet planted, I was going to throw them away as they grow like weeds with me, and I have more than I want. If you would like them get in contact and I will send them to you. They are not big bulbs, but I would expect flowering 2019/20

Rob (Geosec)
Rob Gill.

Geology, cats, growing strange plants. not necessarily in that order.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

Thank you, I have thrown the whole plant and its pot away now. The company I bought it from have sent me a replacement in the post, I hope this one is okay. I am not sure I will have room on the windowsill for any more but I will check. I don't heat my greenhouse so I don't think they will survive there.