Veltheimia virus?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Geosec
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Veltheimia virus?

Post by Geosec »

KathyM wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 am I don't heat my greenhouse so I don't think they will survive there.
They will, without any problem at all. I keep some of mine inside on a windowsill because they are slow developing from flower bud visible to flower opening (months!) especially if they are not warm. My greenhouse got down to -4 C last winter, which was no problem for the veltheimias at all, but they were very late opening their flowers. They really are quite tough. Good luck anyway.
Rob Gill.

Geology, cats, growing strange plants. not necessarily in that order.
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Veltheimia virus?

Post by KathyM »

Thank you, I didn't know that and I don't think I'd have dared to try. I have never overwintered one before; I kind of cheated and bought my first plant in flower this spring. I have 3 plants now, assuming the replacement they sent for this one is virus-free, so I'm not sure they would have all squeezed onto a windowsill anyway and I may have to try leaving some in the greenhouse.