Label Printers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BruceM
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Label Printers

Post by BruceM »

Hello everyone!

I am looking for suggestions for a good quality label printer. The more my collection grows and with my own hybrids, I really want a good label printer so that I can get all the details (hybridiser, name or crossing number etc), safely on a durable label. Obviously for long term use in the Greenhouse, so durability (label and print) is essential.

So I want to have a uniform label system for the whole collection. It also looks much neater!

So, suggestions please!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Label Printers

Post by habanerocat »

There was a similar thread on here before and I think most people were happy with the Brother P-touch printer.

You need to be a bit PC savvy to set it up and use it, format the label correctly, etc.

The print cartridges themselves are a bit expensive depending on the size you go for, but once you print in batches and minimize the waste between labels, then at least you are getting value for money.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

habanerocat wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:29 pm There was a similar thread on here before
I thought there was one this year but the two I've most recently contributed to seem to be viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165897 and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165827 both with some good discussion and photos.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I use Brother P touch and haven't bought genuine ribbons for a long time. Plenty of perfectly good clone tapes on eBay.
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

I use Ptouch. Easy to use, labels neat, long lasting including adhesive. I bought one because I just couldn’t find a marker pen that didn’t eventually fade.
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:01 pm I use Brother P touch and haven't bought genuine ribbons for a long time. Plenty of perfectly good clone tapes on eBay.
Interesting, I use a Brother P touch printer to label audio / video equipment at work but have always used the genuine labels. If the clones stand up to life in a greenhouse I should perhaps try using them in some of the equipment cabs, of course a prolonged trial in the greenhouse may be necessary before I commit.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I would go with what everyone above has said about the Brother P touch it is a fine bit of kit.
Keith don't worry about generic cartridges they work just fine and are best bought in packs of 10, in which case they work out very cheap indeed, I 've got some labels that have been in full sun for about 7 years,from when I first got the printer.

Just of interest there is a piece on this very printer in last months Cactus World including how to format different syles of label.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Thanks Ray, I will have a look at Cactus World. I usually have a quick skim through it when it arrives then put it aside as evening reading matter when I am working away from home, it helps to keep me out of the hotel bar.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Rich45s
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by Rich45s »

I’ve a Dyno (not sure of model number at the mo) but seeing as everyone’s suggested something else.

Probably best to go with their suggestion. But Dyno is another option.

Never even thought to use it on labels for cactus. Perfect thank you!
BCSS Member 52305