Unlabelled recent purchase help needed! - prob. mammillaria

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
CactusNyx
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Unlabelled recent purchase help needed! - prob. mammillaria

Post by CactusNyx »

Hi all, I recently purchased this from a garden centre, unlabelled. Can anyone shed some light on what it may be please?? Newbie cactus keeper so have no idea apart from maybe a rebutia after looking in the cactus encyclopedia.
Attachments
20181023_002959_resized.jpg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Unlabelled recent purchase help needed! - poss rebutia??

Post by rodsmith »

It looks more like a mammillaria to me but the species eludes me - there are so many.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

Yea, probably a white spied form of Mammillaria spinossissima, but not sure on that.

Again, as is common these days, looks like you could have seven individual plants in the one pot.

So keep it dry and cool over winter, then in spring divide it up and repot into a more porous compost.
It will surely flower then and we'll know better what it might be.
CactusNyx
Branch: None

Post by CactusNyx »

Thank you for your prompt reply chaps, much appreciated. I have a mini greenhouse I have purchased for our south facing garden. Should I overwinter it in there or keep it indoors in a cool room do you think? Looking on RHS they state it can do cold but not frozen so I am assuming it can be outside for the month or so until we have constant very cold temperatures and then I need to bring it in?
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Most probably seven plants in one pot.
Stuart
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I'd agree 7 plants of Mammillaria spinosissima. They will take down to freezing easily enough if dry. A mini greenhouse is unlikely to stay much above the outside temperature. That would be adequate for much of the winter, but a real risk of several below at some time in the winter, and I don't know that your plants would take that. Safer to bring indoors if you have a cool place for them.

They look to be growing in peat. Next spring, probably worth washing the peat off and re-potting into a more suitable mix (plenty of other threads on the forum regarding this).
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525