Is this root mealy?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Is this root mealy?

Post by Tina »

I purchased some Malathion several years ago from the USA and instructions said after spraying your fruit n veg, you could eat with in 10-14 days :cry:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ivan
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Ivan »

Here is perhaps a new method to get rid of root mealy.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... ly#p352741
I have not tried this but I definitely will if/when I have some. Might be worth trying for other soil pests as well.
MrRazzell

Post by MrRazzell »

Hi All

Many thanks for the responses - greatly appreciated!

I spent a couple of hours inspecting the roots on each specimen and did not see anything akin to the photographs posted which is a huge relief.

And that method does seem logical and is something I have done before - if not the heat, surely completely submerging the plant for ten minutes in water (having washed off the soil etc) would kill the pest just through a lack of oxygen? A cumbersome method perhaps.

I did find a stray mealybug on a jade a while back, and just washed the plant (with a shower head) and washed away all soil, and sumberged the jade completely under water for ten minutes or so, and have not had a bug since, and the plant seems perfectly healthy. Probably a bit gun-ho?

Interesting anyway; in my research it seems there is no one size fits all approach to pests, and everyone seems to adopt their own particular nuance and approach.

Thanks
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

MrRazzell wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:43 pm Hi All

I spent a couple of hours inspecting the roots on each specimen and did not see anything akin to the photographs posted which is a huge relief.

And that method does seem logical and is something I have done before - if not the heat, surely completely submerging the plant for ten minutes in water (having washed off the soil etc) would kill the pest just through a lack of oxygen? A cumbersome method perhaps.

I did find a stray mealybug on a jade a while back, and just washed the plant (with a shower head) and washed away all soil, and sumberged the jade completely under water for ten minutes or so, and have not had a bug since, and the plant seems perfectly healthy. Probably a bit gun-ho?

Interesting anyway; in my research it seems there is no one size fits all approach to pests, and everyone seems to adopt their own particular nuance and approach.

Thanks
I wouldn't hold out much hope of drowning mealybugs. Lots of insects can survive hours, even days underwater. Spraying with soapy water is certainly effective though.
MrRazzell

Post by MrRazzell »

habanerocat wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm
MrRazzell wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:43 pm Hi All

Thanks
I wouldn't hold out much hope of drowning mealybugs. Lots of insects can survive hours, even days underwater. Spraying with soapy water is certainly effective though.
Absolutely. I have recently made a home brew concoction of neem oil, washing up soap, and 70% alcohol and it has worked wonderfully. I followed this up with plant invigorator (which actually I now realise is an overpriced soap mix?) and I have not seen anything akin to a pest since - also no damage to any of the specimens. Indeed, my Andromichus' have thrown out several new leaves apiece which may have something to do with the plant invigorator.

Anyway it is much colder now so hopefully Mother Nature will play her part
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Cactusgirl »

What temperature do root mealy bugs die out (if they do) and the upper plant mealy bugs?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Cactusgirl wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 am What temperature do root mealy bugs die out (if they do) and the upper plant mealy bugs?
I wish! :???:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Cactusgirl wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 am What temperature do root mealy bugs die out (if they do) and the upper plant mealy bugs?
I don't know, but I'm sure it's way below what the plants can stand!

There was an article years ago, I think in the journal (possibly the old GB or National societies pre-BCSS) which described placing cacti in hot water for a specific time, which killed mealies. The temperature/time to kill mealies was critical, since anything much hotter or for longer would lead to plant damage or death. Anybody know the details of that article?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

MikeT wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:23 pm...There was an article years ago, I think in the journal (possibly the old GB or National societies pre-BCSS) which described placing cacti in hot water for a specific time, which killed mealies. ...
Hi Mike. This is not the article but have a look here.

Hot bath against root mealybugs
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... ly#p352741
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

The hot water method is very interesting. I'd be glad to hear if anyone here has tried it and whether or not it was successful (getting rid of bugs and not damaging plants).
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk