A question- about watering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

A question- about watering

Post by SpikyMike »

I have a little Mammillaria hernandezii. It is coming into flour. I am in UK, Hertfordshire

I am wondering if I should be giving it a little water now at all, or allow it to go into full rest period while the flower buds are forming. It is kept indoors on a very sunny south facing window. The temperature is between 20 and 25 C through the day and probably no less than 15-18C at night.

Thanks for any advice!

Mike
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A question- about watering

Post by Diane »

I didn't want your query unanswered, but I guess the lack of replies is because the majority of us grow our plants in greenhouses, which require a different approach to watering.
Anyway, I'll give you my thoughts (for what they're worth). Mammillaria hernandezii is a species with thick contractile roots, which, in habitat can pull the plant down into the substrate until almost invisible, and can withstand being dry for long periods. The roots are very rot-prone, and in cultivation, that means growing in a very well-drained potting mix and very cautious watering. With that in mind, I think my advice would be NOT to water, even though you are growing it indoors, as it's usually best to err on the cautious side - if in doubt, don't!
I hope you get it into flower - I have one in the greenhouse at the moment, full of buds, and hoping for enough sun to encourage them to open, but remember, however sunny your windowsill is, it can't compare to the full light of a greenhouse. Mine was last watered a month ago, and won't be watered again until next March/April.
I'm not sure how yours will fare over winter in the warm conditions of a room, as these plants usually do best with a cool winter rest, but good luck!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!