Pesticide for killing thrips

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Pesticide for killing thrips

Post by KathyM »

I've had it growing as a houseplant so I wouldn't have thought it would get particularly cold. I have another Lepismium (bolivianum) which recently had its growing point turn black, so maybe the room is colder than I think. The growing points of the L. houletianum aren't marked though, although they've gone long and thin.

The only things I've got flowering in the room are a Hoya and the Pinguicula, so if there are some thrips around it would be funny if they'd gone for the Pinguicula flowers.
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I thought my Dioscorea on the living room windowsill had red spider mite, but I spotted some thrips under the leaves. Maybe this is why I've never noticed them before, if I've just always assumed they were red spider mite. I only spotted a few though and the plant has very damaged foliage so I assume they have moved to something else. I still haven't found any in the room with the Lepismium in, and the Pinguicula hasn't either.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thrips are quite selective about what they eat, so I think your Lepismium was probably attacked when the new growth was forming. It might have only been one or two thrips which are now long gone, but as the thrips damaged area grew larger it became obvious. Not seeing thrips is almost diagnostic! I have several Melocacti on my kitchen windowsill. Occasionally I see unmistakable thrips damage on the spines, but I have only ever once seen a live thrips. And remember that thrips are good flyers!
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I'm trying to figure out where they've gone next. I've spotted some under the leaves of a Ludisia orchid in the living room but that's it so far.