Do Pachypodium saundersii flowers have a discernible scent?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Do Pachypodium saundersii flowers have a discernible scent?

Post by Nick_G »

My two young plants are in bud for the first time. They live on our south facing bedroom windowsill and are doing well, I like them a lot. My wife who has a very keen sense of smell detests perfumed flowers and to maintain domestic harmony I may need to move them or remove the buds. Rowley in his handbook (for P.lealii) states ' They are reputed to have a sweet perfume , but I have not noticed any.' , so maybe, maybe not.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Do Pachypodium saundersii flowers have a discernible scent?

Post by purzo »

hi Nick, mine definitely had faintly scented flowers until I inadvertently killed it by moving to a too chilly greenhouse over winter. Sweet smelling is probably accurate but I had to get up close to be able to detect it. Each flower only lasted a few days but as the plant grew there tended to be plenty of them. Mine was also kept on a South facing windowsill but as it got bigger the branches became a bit spindly hence the disastrous move to the greenhouse for more light.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Do Pachypodium saundersii flowers have a discernible scent?

Post by Nick_G »

Thanks Gary, any scent would be more than my wife could stand. How cold was the greenhouse that did in your saundersii? I think I'll put them in our conservatory that gets down to about 8C, she'll still moan but we may stay married. They should be OK at that temperature I would think.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium