Euphorbia ritchiei minimum temp

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Euphorbia ritchiei minimum temp

Post by Cactus Kid »

Suggestions for minimum temperature for Euphorbia ritchiei.

I recently bought a wonderful variegated form of this plant and don't want to risk losing it!

Thanks
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Euphorbia ritchiei minimum temp

Post by Stuart »

Monadenium Ritchiei, these variegated yellow and green ones have been at Dutch Garden Centres that I've visited during the past two years, I've bought a couple each time and lost them the following winter. They're appealing to the public as the body is variegated as well as the leaves. They were only about 3 euros each and with leaves along half the body so look to have been grown fairly quickly, a bit like the leafy Pachypodium Lamerei seen in garden centres. If I'd spent more on them I might have taken more care of them! Definitely needs more warmth than the average cactus greenhouse, I'd keep indoors on a warm sunny window sill in the winter and try to give a little water to keep it growing.
Stuart
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by conolady »

I dry mine out quite a lot and keep them above 8C. Could maybe do 6C if they were very dry.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Thanks for the replies (tu)

I have a hot bench kept at 12c min. Does it need watering to keep it ticking over at this temp or is it OK to leave dry?
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I didn't know there was a variegated version. I bought a plant of the regular form in spring and have been wondering how to overwinter it; I don't heat my greenhouse so it will have to be the heated propagator or a windowsill.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by conolady »

Cactus Kid wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:07 pm Thanks for the replies (tu)

I have a hot bench kept at 12c min. Does it need watering to keep it ticking over at this temp or is it OK to leave dry?
I'd keep a careful eye on it at that temp, and if it started to shrivel/wrinkle badly I'd give it a LITTLE water. Carefully!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...