Scorch on Conophytum

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roatavator
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Scorch on Conophytum

Post by Roatavator »

One of my favourite plants got scorch damage a couple of years ago. Now I don’t know if this is wishful thinking but it seems to me the damaged area is getting smaller as the plant continues to grow. Anyone had scorch damage disappear eventually?
Attachments
FB4AFAC3-0FE4-435E-AFAE-EC9E3C5BF710.jpeg
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Scorch on Conophytum

Post by Ali Baba »

It will slowly vanish beneath the upward growth of the new bodies, I would guess that if you carefully remove all the dead growth the resulting hole will fill in more quickly than if you leave it like that.
I occasionally get similar scorched patches on my Deutercohnias if I forget to put them outside in hot weather and I find that removing the dead bits is the best strategy
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Thanks. I hadn’t been brave enough to get the knife out! But I’ll give it a go now.
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

A fine pair of scissors might be easier than a knife, assuming you are being literal 😀
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Just pull them out with tweezers then snip off any stubborn ones as Ali Baba suggested.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Yes sorry I wasn’t being literal!
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Yup, I do the tweezers thing as well. Works well when I've been careless and the hole fills in fairly quickly.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Update one year on. I removed the dead area last autumn with tweezers. The hole has now completely filled in. You can just make out the slightly depressed area where the hole was which I guess will fill out by this time next year. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Attachments
D0641F94-D765-464D-B801-10C91DCFE2AE.jpeg