Adenium obesum from seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
sechjoh
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Adenium obesum from seed

Post by sechjoh »

Eric Williams wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:53 pm Nice plants Christer, I read years ago that these plants and Pachypodiuns can be cultivated and used as house plants. Do you agree with this ? Cheers
I have just started with this genus, but as far as I know you can use them as house plants. Some of them needs a resting time and will lose their leaves, but will flower when the rest is over.

Lets find this out together :)

P.S. I have no garden and no green house...
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Certainly looks more interesting with the stone sited in there, maybe 'we need a plant in a nice pot thread ' :grin: .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Post by sechjoh »

Tina wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:33 pm Certainly looks more interesting with the stone sited in there, maybe 'we need a plant in a nice pot thread ' :grin: .
Maybe you are right!
Let the mods decide if there is a place for a main thread named: "plant in a nice pot" :)
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Tina wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:33 pm Certainly looks more interesting with the stone sited in there, maybe 'we need a plant in a nice pot thread ' :grin: .
Reminds me of Tina's excellent 'Presidential-potted' obesum from a few years back :wink:
See:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161923&start=20#p228942
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Christer, this season I allowed all my plants to rest this Winter and predictably lost all their leaves. Next season I will attempt to keep a few plants growing all year. Cheers
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

I keep the majority of mine on a south facing windowsill all year round. They seem happy. Some lose their leaves in the winter and some stubbornly refuse to do so. The plants that lose their leaves look better to me the following summer, neater and with fresher foliage.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Post by sechjoh »

First two grafts :)
In a metal tin...
In a metal tin...
In a plastic tin...
In a plastic tin...
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Re adeniums as house plants: can I just remind folk that every part of them is extremely poisonous, so do beware of pets and small children touching them...In the greenhouse you can keep a closer watch on matters, and wash your hands after even taking old leaves off!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Post by sechjoh »

conolady wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 pm Re adeniums as house plants: can I just remind folk that every part of them is extremely poisonous.
Good point!

I always use tweezers when handling the leaves and when I do some cutting I use surgeon gloves.

Euphorbia, Datura and Brugmansia are other plants with toxic sap.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Nice looking grafts Christer. May I ask what stock you used, and what time of year you did the graft. Thanks