Warmer winter for some mammillarias?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
conolady
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Warmer winter for some mammillarias?

Post by conolady »

Can anybody tell me which mammillarias, in their experience, require a slightly warmer winter temperature? I'm thinking c. 7C or 8C perhaps. Guelzowiana comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others it might be wise to be kind to. I've a few small poshies and would rather not lose them!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Warmer winter for some mammillarias?

Post by Diane »

I haven't found M. guelziowana to be too fussy, mine are kept with the general collection at no less than 5c and as long as they are bone dry I have had no problems. Off the top of my head, M. nivosa and M. beneckei/balsasoides would probably like a bit of extra warmth as they can be rather touchy.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Thanks, Diane. I haven't got those yet so I'm still OK heatwise. Some folks have mentioned
guelzowiana and possibly haudeana to me, but it's interesting you find the former at least no problem.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I agree with Diane about M. guelzowiana, I've had mine for years and just keep it at 5 c minimum, no problems.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

M. guelzowiana will happily go below freezing and does fine at 5C. For warmer ones, look to the Caribbean species. M. columbiana is one that I keep warm, although it is actually only found in South America. Possibly they don't even need to be that warm.
Cheshire, UK
conolady
BCSS Member

Post by conolady »

Many thanks for the advice!