Almost done

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Almost done

Post by Astro »

The flush of Lithops flowers is dying down. Only L. meyeri and a few karasmontana have unopened buds, most others are on their last legs. I have no optica large enough to expect any flowers.

Some firsts for me recently:

L. comptonii v weberi, still a pretty small plant. I water it very sparingly because of all the horror stories about this species (deserved or not). I've struggled with comptonii in the past but seem to be more successful now.
I love the pink hues of the islands, more like villetii than otzeniana (its putative close relation).
L. comptonii v weberi
L. comptonii v weberi
Flower:
L. comptonii v weberi
L. comptonii v weberi
IMG_1696.JPG (116.49 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
L. viridis, another one I keep bonsaied on purpose.
L. viridis
L. viridis
IMG_1684.JPG (105.45 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Dinteranthus pole-evansii. Only one out of 12 or 13 plants with a flower, and one of the smallest to boot. I may have inadvertently put my larger plants in a somewhat less bright spot, so I'll try and fix that next year.
D. pole-evansii
D. pole-evansii
IMG_1704.JPG (118.58 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
David1971
Registered Guest

Re: Almost done

Post by David1971 »

Great successes Astro. Both my comptonii (v. weberi and componii, sown 2015) and my viridis (sown 2016) seem too young for flowering. D. pole-evansii is a tricky species for me, I have sown several batches last years but only have two tiny one-yr old seedlings.
Astro
Registered Guest

Re: Almost done

Post by Astro »

I think the viridis was sown in '13, and the comptonii in '14. My oldest pole-evansii were sown in '13 but the flowering one is a year younger (4 years old now). I water all of them pretty sparingly so they grow very slowly.

Historically I've had better results raising pole-evansii from seed than vanzylii (I've managed to kill every last seedling) but once past the bubble-leaf stage they're pretty robust. My mature vanzylii gave me enough seeds to experiment with and I think I've finally found a pretty reliable way to raise them from seed in my conditions (knock on wood).