Novice needing advice on grow lights

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rca
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Novice needing advice on grow lights

Post by rca »

Hi everyone,

I've been growing cacti for as few years and have amassed a medium size collection. I have just moved house and have less growing space than I used to have, but I don't want to lose my cacti. I have a north facing conservatory (approx 2x2.5m - cant find the taoe measure in all the moving chaos) and have been trying to research grow lights that would be suitable to be used in there (preferably free standing desklamp type ones if available). I would be looking to keep costs on the lower side ad I'm a penniless first year horticulture student!

I have tried to do some research but found it all a bit confusing so I was hoping to pick your brains, especially about what type of light and how long it would have to be on in the winter/summer. If anybody knows any good information sources on the issue I would very much appreciate a hint as to what I should look at.

Many thanks and I hope I haven't made a prat out of myself with my attempts at discussing something I know little about!

Rca
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Novice needing advice on grow lights

Post by Phil_SK »

Cacti won't need any light at all during their winter rest period. Although it's north-facing, your conservatory (assuming you're in the UK) may well be brighter than many of the windowsills on which people successfully grow cacti. Overall, I'd recommend not using lights, at least until you've let your plants experience a full growing season cycle without, after which you might review the decision.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

I'd echo Phil's comments.

During the winter, cacti are dormant so high light levels aren't needed.
Plus, a conservatory, even N facing, is going to be relatively bright. Small desktop type LEDs are not going to be especially bright in comparison, unless held extremely close to plants - so maybe useful for a few plants on a windowsill or a desktop, but not for a larger collection of larger plants.
If you can find a sunnier spot outside, moving plants from the conservatory over summer is probably a good idea. Many C&S will be very happy outdoors over summer.
I use supplemental lighting, for seelings, a single low wattage bulb literally 25 cm from the plants. The light intensity drops off very rapidly with distance from the light source.
One other option to consider is reflectors - if you have (e.g.) a brick wall in the conservatory, facing it with silver reflective material (e.g. foam backed underfloor insulation sheets, etc) will get you significant more light for free once reflectors are in place.
rca
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by rca »

Thank you both!

So just one further question: does the light for cacti not need to be direct then? My conservatory is glass on both sides and the ceiling, my main concern was that with no direct sun light they would begging to etiolate, is that les likely to be the case then?

Thanks again,
Rca
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

Yes, most non-epiphytic cacti like quite a bit of direct sunlight for healthy growth.
In the winter, if temperatures are too low for growth, then etiolation is not an issue. If your conservatory is heated, this may be a problems as the plants will want to grow.

As spring arrives and temperatures increase, you will need to try to maximise light. Even a north facing conservatory may get decent amount of sun in parts of it as the sun rises higher in the sky, so you may need to arrange high shelves, hanging baskets etc to take advantage of this. Or even reflectors on the south facing windows, to reflect sunlight back in.

Otherwise, a sunny place outside may be your best option.